PDA

View Full Version : Munnar (#1)

Bhargava Srivari
24-05-2011, 10:22 AM
A long-tailed shrike, shot outside the resort premises- late in the vening @ around 6:20 pm.

We were staying at the tea valley resort and the only word to describe it- "birdwatcher's paradise". Mine being a trip with parents, family friends (including kids), was not a photography trip, but the canon sure was there to give me company. It was treat to watch long-tailed shrikes, small minivets, scarlet minivet (male and female), oriental white-eye, sunbirds, red-whiskered bulbul (which is a commoner in the area), an oriental magpie roin collecting nesting material, malabar whistlong thrush and more. I even saw a pair of the malabar whistling thrush mating while climbing a steep slope and that ensured that I didn't even get a record shot of the scene! However, the group of 10 people with me ensured that I managed to make ONLY record shots of every bird I saw :( Still, it was an eventful trip during which I realised that the place has some serious potential for birding and worth another trip specially for the purpose.

We even sighted nilgiri langurs, a crested-serpent eagle, barking deer, chestnut headed bee-eaters, gaur and striped-nec mongoose on our way to Eravikkulam nationl park. The flipside of the story though was our failure to even enter the national park as there was a queue as long as at least a couple of kilometers and a drizzle.

f5.6, 1/125sec, ISO 2000, EV +0.3, 400mm, processed in 'neat image' due to lot of noise in BG
canon 60D, canon 100-400 L IS, handheld

P.S-: Be willing to shoot consistently at ISO 800 or more anytime before 8am and after 3:30 pm to be able to get "usable" shots of birds!

Mrudul Godbole
24-05-2011, 12:57 PM
Nice composition. The perch and the eye contact is nice. The colours are nice.Thanks for sharing the information in detail about the place. Its good that you could get some record shots. Look forward to more. Thanks for sharing.

Sabyasachi Patra
24-05-2011, 01:32 PM
I agree with Mrudul. If it is a good place, then you can always go back alone. Not every one will be patient or quiet to allow you to take a good image.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Praveen Siddannavar
24-05-2011, 08:13 PM
Good to hear about your trip Bhargava, the image is nice with a clean bg.
tfs

Roopak Gangadharan
25-05-2011, 06:22 PM
Nice one bhargava.There are some excellent birding areas within 15 Km radius of munnar.Try them out next time.
TFS
Roopak