PDA

View Full Version : Sigma enters the game!

Bhargava Srivari
27-05-2011, 10:57 AM
About 100 copies of the Sigma 120-300 f2.8 EX DG HSM OS lens, which was announced alongside the new canon lenses sans the bells and whistles the canon announcement created, have been shipped in Europe. A few tens of copies of this lens are available with BH photo and Adorama that primarily operate in the United States. The guys at Photozone, who have a reputation for unbiased reviews, have taken the oppurtunity to review the Sigma beast:) What more, they call it "very good"! From their review, it sounds like the sigma 'at least' matches the 1st generation canon 300 f2.8 L IS in terms of AF speed/accuracy, center frame shaprness when shot wide open and the sharpness is even better when stopped down to f4! Now, the Sigma is sure to have already excited a lot of people with the compositional flexibility of the lens....the 120mm focal length of the short end has its share of importance in Indian jungles.

If more good reviews start flowing in from across the globe when the supply of this lens stabilises, which it should in the next one month or so, Sigma will surely eat into canon's share of the lens market (with the 3 month headstart that are bound to get)- that is if they manage to overcome the inconsistencies in quality control which they are "popular" for:) At this juncture, I am reminded of how people used to laugh at Hyundai for even trying to make cars- now, they almost control the world's hatchback automobile segment. If Sigma is quick to launch a GOOD 500 f4 OS lens for which they have already filed the patent, and sell it at around 60% the price of canon or nikon lens equivalent, I hope they are bound to have the last laugh

Not to forget, the sigma 120-300 f2.8 EX DG HSM OS will sell for 3400 USD which is just more than half the expected price of canon 300 f2.8 USM IS II, canon sure will be forced to re-think their pricing strategy and announce a more competitive price for their lens, and this certainly, is good news

Please feel free to have your say on this:) It might be helpful for a lot of friends who have been waiting to upgrade!

Cheers

Bhargava

Mrudul Godbole
27-05-2011, 01:26 PM
The f2.8 factor gives this lens a good edge. The price as you mentioned is 3400 USD which I think makes it worth it.

For anyone looking for a good zoom lens this can be a good buy (considering the reviews are good) with the 120-300 focal length and plus f2.8 which will help in low light. It might affect the Canon 100-400mm f5.6 as the wider aperture is an advantage over it.

Personally I was thinking about going for Canon 300 f.28, but with the price of about 6000 USD, I am having second thoughts :(. I will prefer to stick with Canon (as presently I am totally satisfied with the lenses I am using), but hope with this competition I hope Canon rethinks about the pricing of 300 f2.8 :-).

Thanks Bhargava for sharing this information.

Bhargava Srivari
27-05-2011, 01:34 PM
Mrudul

Seems like both of us will always end up using the same lens! Like you, I at some point of time will get the canon 300 f2.8 L IS II:)

Cheers