PDA

View Full Version : Slinky

Bibhav Behera
29-05-2011, 08:08 PM
Shot at Mhadei Sanctuary. I liked the colours in this image. I tried framing it between the twigs. I wanted to go slightly higher but there were leaves on top which i wanted to avoid.

Comments and Critiques welcome.

Full Frame Image

Canon 1000D, 420mm
SS 1/125
f/6.3
ISO 800

Abhishek Jamalabad
29-05-2011, 09:00 PM
The framing with the twigs looks a bit tight to me. But I still like this image, the colours look lovely. What species is this?
TFS. At last you went to Mhadei. :)

Bibhav Behera
29-05-2011, 09:19 PM
I was hoping you would fill me in on the species :)
Had been super tied up with work. Finally got the time to go there today.

Abhishek Jamalabad
29-05-2011, 11:31 PM
Seems to be a Common (Brahminy) Skink Mabuya carinata breeding male. I don't recall seeing a specimen in this phase of colouration, but your photograph matches the description given in JC Daniel's book.
It would be better if you can get the ID confirmed from other newer sources, since the book is outdated.

Sabyasachi Patra
30-05-2011, 12:36 PM
Good one. It is important to document all the species present in an area and not just the mega fauna. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Sabyasachi Patra
30-05-2011, 12:38 PM
Abhishek: Can you mention the names of any new books for id which people can buy. I am sure there will be people reading this who would like to have a book in their hands.

Abhishek Jamalabad
02-06-2011, 02:45 PM
Can you mention the names of any new books for id which people can buy.

I am currently using JC Daniel's The Book of Indian Reptiles and Amphibians (mainly for lizards, turtles and amphibians). Have been using it for the past 7-8 years. I won't recommend buying it as it is quite outdated now, with many new species being discovered and some existing ones being renamed. I am not aware of any new books, will surely buy one myself as soon as I receive any news of the same.

For snakes, the Field Guide to the Snakes of India by Romulus Whitaker and Ashok Captain is excellent. This book is also available in several regional languages for those who might be interested.