PDA

View Full Version : White Throated Kingfisher with an earthworm

Atul Sinai
21-06-2011, 11:06 PM
Was shooting early morning in the nearby garden when I got this pic. Was aware about the fact that the kingfisher visits there often. Just a moment before I shot this, the kingfisher picked up the earthworm from the lawn to demonstrate how good eyesight he has.

Canon 600D, 55-250 mm lens
Shutter Speed 1/640
Aperture 6.3
ISO 100
Focal Length 194mm
Handheld

Had to crop the image for composition.

Please critique this image.

Thanks and Regards,
Atul

Bhargava Srivari
22-06-2011, 09:12 AM
Nice eye contact and colors. Wish that tree bramch on the left side of the frame which is cutting across was not there (or you could have moved to the left if possible to avoid it). Reducing contrast/saturation will be better. Now that you know that this bird comes there regularly, you can probably hide somewhere closer to this perch to get some fine shots:)

Sabyasachi Patra
22-06-2011, 11:28 AM
I think this is a good effort considering the short lens you were using. A longer focal length - nearly double of what you were using now - would have helped you in eliminating the branch. Wish the Kingfisher was perched on a natural perch. I agree that if you can find out a frequently visited branch and then hide closeby, the chances of getting good images will increase. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Mrudul Godbole
22-06-2011, 01:20 PM
The eye contact and the catch light is nice. The details are good. The catch is a bonus. Agree moving to the left would have helped. Look forward to more. Thanks for sharing.

Atul Sinai
22-06-2011, 04:13 PM
Thanks Bhargava, Sabyasachi and Mrudul for your comments.