PDA

View Full Version : Leopard with a kill/Bandipur

Praveen Siddannavar
28-06-2011, 08:56 AM
Was lucky to witness and capture Leopard with Black Naped Hare kill at Bandipur on the weekend. Thanks to Guru Dutt and Basavanna of JLR, without their support this was not possible.
I increased the ISO despite good light to freeze the action as the leopard was running away with the hare in his jaws.

Camera Model Canon EOS 7D, 500mm
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/800
Av( Aperture Value ) 4
ISO 800
Focal length 500mm
Full frame
Bean bag support
Time of action : 5:10pm

Bhargava Srivari
28-06-2011, 08:59 AM
Huge fella! A record shot this is for sure. How much I wish you had some eye contact :) Praveen sir, your regular visits to bandipur even if there were no sightings sometime are paying off now :) Did you get any shots with a leg in the air (because you said it was running!)...

And it looks as if the leopard had already had a good meal (the belly looks full?)...

tfs..wish you many more sightings

Praveen Siddannavar
28-06-2011, 09:14 AM
Thanks Bhargava, I thought it was more than a record shot:(. The raised hind leg on the left indicates he is sprinting. I think I have few more images I will post them too.

Bhargava Srivari
28-06-2011, 09:20 AM
Ah Praveen sir..you caught me off guard! I didnt mean it as 'only' a record shot..I meant that this kind of an image, I never came across so it is a very important record - that too of very fine quality :)

Mrudul Godbole
28-06-2011, 01:52 PM
Lovely action captured. Quite rare to see a leopard with a hare kill. The details are nice. Good composition. A slight head turn towards you would have made it top notch. Nicely captured. Look forward to more in the series. Thanks for sharing.

Dipankar Mazumdar
28-06-2011, 02:38 PM
Brilliant moment Praveen, and perfect exposure. You have some awesome Leopard luck!!!

Atul Sinai
28-06-2011, 04:58 PM
Fantastic shot Praveen. The image has very nice composition and quality. I guess the leopard was running away so it was difficult to get more eye contact, but still a stunning image. Loved it.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards,
Atul

Praveen Siddannavar
28-06-2011, 08:27 PM
Thanks guys for the comments

Sabyasachi Patra
28-06-2011, 08:54 PM
A fine natural history moment captured! Leopards have frugal habits and can survive on such small prey when required. Good that you were there at the right time. There are no intervening vegetation to mar the scene. It would have been really fantastic if you were more to right. Look forward to other images of this series. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Supreet Sahoo
29-06-2011, 10:05 PM
How I wish that the cat had turned in your direction :( nevertheless a lovely record this is ... thanks for sharing Praveen

Roopak Gangadharan
30-06-2011, 12:33 PM
Praveen this is fantastic.so when are you posting the leopard doing an item number...:). you simply seem to have posted a leopard doing almost everything else.

TFS
Roopak

Praveen Siddannavar
30-06-2011, 01:59 PM
Thanks Roopak, during this recent trip to Bandipur, I had 3 Leopard sightings of which one, I didn't manage any photos. I have another series to start of a male leopard, images are not that great but worth sharing so that you all can enjoy. Unfortunately no images with Leopard performing a item:laugh:

Forests are always full of actions, it is just that one has to show lot of patience and capture them. In this Leopard sighting we knew the Leopard was hiding in a bush, so many jeeps came and showed their patience only for 5-10 mins and moved on. One one jeep waited pateintly and it was ours, we waited for almost 20 mins and I was lucky to shoot the Leopard with Hare in his Jaws. Indeed a rare moment, not many records of this in India & abroad.