PDA

View Full Version : Large Spotted Civet Roadkill

Bibhav Behera
30-06-2011, 06:45 PM
I saw this sad sight near the Candolim Bridge in North Goa. The bridge is close to dense mangrove areas which obviously are critical fauna habitats.

If I have the ID right, this is a Large Spotted Civet (Viverra megaspila)

Sad to see such beautiful creatures that are rare to see alive as such and definitely not so as splattered roadkills.

Bringing us back to the age old question "Human Wildlife Coexistance: Is it truly possible or is it a Win Lose situation right from the word GO?"

This image was taken from my cellphone.

Bibhav Behera
30-06-2011, 06:58 PM
GPS Coordinates: (15.506825872567193, 73.78044605255127)

Abhishek Jamalabad
30-06-2011, 07:20 PM
You have nicely documented the find. Good that you photographed it and recorded the GPS coordinates too. Even with the growing concern for wildlife conservation, incidents like these easily get overlooked. This leads us to think, like you mentioned, whether coexistence with wildlife is really possible.
TFS

Sabyasachi Patra
01-07-2011, 02:44 PM
Unfortunately, these days the easiest way to view endangered species is through road kills. It is difficult for wildlife to avoid the speeding vehicles. Unfortunately, when our roads are designed, we try to reach from one point to another via the shortest route. A slight change of alignment to circumvent wildlife habitats would ensure that our wildlife can be saved. Unfortunately, our planners and funding agencies don't place sufficient emphasis on this.

Sabyasachi