PDA

View Full Version : Pheasant Tailed Jacana

Supreet Sahoo
06-07-2011, 10:06 PM
Just love this bird. It was a double delight in fact for me as as there were 2 of them, but managed to shoot just one here. Please share your views.

Exif : Shooting Mode Aperture-Priority AE
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/1000
Av( Aperture Value ) 5.6
Metering Mode Spot Metering
ISO Speed 640
Lens EF300mm f/4L IS USM

Saktipada Panigrahi
06-07-2011, 11:11 PM
Beautiful photograph of this regal bird, perfect composition ,natural environ and colour.Its long black arched tail and huge feet that enable it to walk on floating vegetation effortlessly have been captured well. Thanks for sharing. SaktiWild

Bhargava Srivari
07-07-2011, 09:13 AM
Lovely bird. The composition is nice, but a more rectangular crop would be better. Wish you had done something to eliminate the OOF twig at the left bottom corner...

Also, after experimenting with all metering modes, I found (well, got some suggestions here too to use eval) evaluative metering better. On a side note, since I was shooting alongside you, I had done it at ISO 400 and f6.3...and some images at ISO 640 and f7.1 for better details.

tfs

Mrudul Godbole
07-07-2011, 06:13 PM
Lovely bird. The habitat displayed is nice. Using a further narrower aperture would have been good. The habitat displayed looks nice. You could have avoided the out of focus stick in the left bottom corner by shifting the camera a bit more to the right. Thanks for sharing.

Supreet Sahoo
07-07-2011, 09:27 PM
Appreciate all the feedback guys ... Will try out eval metering this weekend and narrower apertures for such situations :thumbup1:

Praveen Siddannavar
07-07-2011, 11:00 PM
Beautiful image Supreet, a narrow aperture would have been even better, you may also want to reduce the saturation a bit and highlights, nevertheless this is a nice image as is.
tfs

Sabyasachi Patra
08-07-2011, 10:42 AM
Supreet,
Pick up a 1.4x TC. It would give you better reach. Is there any possibility of going down lower, as I guess you were clicking from the tank bund? Keep on trying. I love this species and would like to see some more images of these beautiful birds.

As far as spot metering is concerned, when I was shooting with the Canon EOS 1V (it was the film era), the spot metering used to measure from 2.4% of the area from centre. In the digital era, the spot metering reading from the 7D is about 3.2% from centre. I am not sure why the reading for the spot metering area can't be narrowed down further.

Also, one should not think that just selecting a metering mode like spot metering will give instantaneously good results. You need to know the metering theory. One can check the tutorial on metering here: Indiawilds: Land of the Tiger. Conservation, Wildlife Photography, Communities (http://www.indiawilds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1970)

Members need to login to access it and non-members can register here: Indiawilds: Land of the Tiger. Conservation, Wildlife Photography, Communities - Register (http://www.indiawilds.com/forums/register.php)

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Supreet Sahoo
08-07-2011, 12:10 PM
Some really helpful info that ive got here , thank you everyone.

Sabyasachi sir - I would have loved to go eye level anyday , but i was restricted to shoot from the bund as it was steep and the only other way i would have otherwise gone is into the water , not to forget the security guards around us suspicious of the big glasses that we carry :001_smile: Im still getting used to the place and am not missing out on opportunities to visit on a regular basis to get some decent shots of the birds there , especially this species. Ill be ordering the TC this weekend and it should be here by month end. After Bhargava's post yesterday i was going through some metering notes online but not to great effect. Will go through this.