PDA

View Full Version : Will Mhadei Wild Life Sanctuary be declared as a TIGER RESERVE?

Saktipada Panigrahi
07-07-2011, 12:53 PM
After reading catastrophic reports on Mortality of Tigers touching 29 during first 6 months of 2011 , some good news have been reported in the Hindustan Times dated 2nd July,2011. Wild Life Institute of India ,Dehradun has spotted 35 Tigers in Mhadei Wild Life Sanctuary located in Sattauri Taluk, North Goa and stated that the habitat is good for maintaining a stable Tiger population.The WLS is contiguous to Tiger habitats in Karnataka (thereby Spill Over benefit may accrue to this forest ). Govt. of India has written to the State Government to submit the proposal for declaring MHADEI WLS as a TIGER RESERVE.Let us hope that it will come true.

Ravindra Yadav
08-07-2011, 01:36 PM
After reading catastrophic reports on Mortality of Tigers touching 29 during first 6 months of 2011 , some good news have been reported in the Hindustan Times dated 2nd July,2011. Wild Life Institute of India ,Dehradun has spotted 35 Tigers in Mhadei Wild Life Sanctuary located in Sattauri Taluk, North Goa and stated that the habitat is good for maintaining a stable Tiger population.The WLS is contiguous to Tiger habitats in Karnataka (thereby Spill Over benefit may accrue to this forest ). Govt. of India has written to the State Government to submit the proposal for declaring MHADEI WLS as a TIGER RESERVE.Let us hope that it will come true.

I think the figure of 35 tigers spotted in Mhadei is wrong. Some 8- 12 are expected there.

Saktipada Panigrahi
08-07-2011, 07:53 PM
I may only suggest that Shri Ravindra Jadhav may take some pains to see for himself the Letter written by Shri Jairam Ramesh,MOS(Independent Charge),GOI addressed To Shri Digambar Kamat,CM,GOA dated the 28th June,2011 which has been uploaded in the website where he has specifically mentioned the number of Tigers as 35. NTCA site also has quoted the same data.
It is painful to read such wording like "WRONG".
SaktiWild

Ravindra Yadav
10-07-2011, 05:25 PM
I may only suggest that Shri Ravindra Jadhav may take some pains to see for himself the Letter written by Shri Jairam Ramesh,MOS(Independent Charge),GOI addressed To Shri Digambar Kamat,CM,GOA dated the 28th June,2011 which has been uploaded in the website where he has specifically mentioned the number of Tigers as 35. NTCA site also has quoted the same data.
It is painful to read such wording like "WRONG".
SaktiWild

I am sorry, if my comment has disturbed you but I still have my doubt about nos. of tigers in Mahadei WLS.

Sabyasachi Patra
10-07-2011, 07:54 PM
It would be good if Mhadei wildilfe sanctuary can be declared as a tiger reserve. Contiguity is an important factor for the survival of our mega fauna as it helps in dispersal or adolescent tigers as well as filling up the space if a tiger changes its range or dies due to natural or unnatural reasons.

I guess Ravindra might be speaking from personal experience of not having seen a tiger there. The Minister has mentioned 35 in his letter. I don't have personal experience of this sanctuary. However, whether the present tiger population in Mhadei is 35 or a bit less or more is not so much important. Hopefully the level of protection will increase if it gets declared as a Tiger Reserve. With contiguity and increased protection, the tiger numbers will improve.

Lets see if the Government of Goa agrees to the proposal.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Abhishek Jamalabad
10-07-2011, 08:33 PM
Nice to see that Mhadei has a prospect of receiving better protection. I have been there, and it has been one of my most favourite wildlife spots so far :). Didn't see many large mammals there (maybe because I went around mostly on foot), but Mhadei has very healthy populations of some uncommon invertebrates, reptiles and amphibians (most of which are endemic to the Western Ghats) and also some rare species of bats, not to mention lots of birds.
Being declared a Tiger Reserve will no doubt prove beneficial to the survival of these species as well (taking into consideration the rampant mining in the area). If a healthy tiger population can survive there in the future, it would be superb.

Look forward to knowing more on this, do keep us posted.
Thanks for sharing.

Soumya Banerjee
08-11-2011, 03:46 PM
35 tigers in 208 km2!!! That too in a tropical evergreen rainforest habitat where ungulate densities are usually low due to ecological reasons?? Even 8-10 is probably a bit too high,but if properly protected,Mhadei and other such forests in Goa along with adjoining forests of Karnataka(including the Anshi-Dandeli tiger reserve which is also connected to the Sahyadri Tiger Reserve through "stepping stone" forest patches,can support a healthy tiger population. This entire landscape(N Karnataka-Goa-Maharashtra) probably has no more than 40 odd tigers right now.