PDA

View Full Version : Female Giraffe Weevil

Abhishek Jamalabad
11-07-2011, 03:31 PM
This was photographed at Avarsa, Karnataka (close to Karwar).
I think Bibhav had posted a similar species some time back. Based on images on the net, I have guessed that it is a female Giraffe Weevil. Not very sure about the ID.

Canon EOS 500D, Canon 100mm Macro USM
Shooting Mode Aperture-Priority AE
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/400
Av( Aperture Value ) 8.0
ISO Speed 1600
Flash Off
Cropped slightly from the left and bottom

Needed more DoF here... I could easily have used a higher Av since I had enough shutter speed... Just didn't strike me then :(. Still, thought of posting it as a record image.

Thanks, comments and critiques awaited.

Mrudul Godbole
12-07-2011, 01:06 PM
Nice image. Surely more than a record image. I agree a narrower aperture would have helped to get the head in focus as well. The colours are nice. Thanks for sharing.

Roopak Gangadharan
12-07-2011, 10:26 PM
Good one Abhishek. Nice details.wud been even better without the OOF leaf in the BG and the noise seems quite ok for ISO 1600 with a 500D.I dont dare go beyond ISO 800 unless im shooting in the night.Even then the noise is quite obvious.

when i saw Bibhav's image i thought it looked similar to an assassin bug nymph pic i had seen before, but wasnt sure.... wud be nice if you can get ID confirmed.

TFS
Roopak

Bhargava Srivari
13-07-2011, 07:18 AM
The details have come out well. I am ok with the OOF green leaf. Seriously, noise is very very tolerable even at ISO 1600..applied NR? If so, you've done it effectively with little loss of details:) Composition wise, you might cut down slight amount of space from the bottom

tfs

Abhishek Jamalabad
13-07-2011, 09:47 AM
Thanks all.
Roopak and Bharagava: Yes, a wee bit of NR done (in LightRoom itself). But it was done since I gave the image a sharpness boost. The noise is usually quite low even in the original when I use ISO 1600 (Most of my early shots from this equipment were clicked at 1600 and posted without NR). However, 3200 does not seem usable at all.

Bhargava: Agree with you about cutting off some of the bottom space. I thought of it myself just after I posted the image. :o

Roopak: I'll post the link to the most similar image I found on the net- http://orionmystery.blogspot.com/2011/03/spiny-giraffe-weevils-and-host-plant.html. I had not posted it earlier as the source may not be reliable enough. But if any of you guys could help confirm the ID, I would be extremely grateful...

Sabyasachi Patra
13-07-2011, 03:58 PM
I agree with Abhishek.

The Noise Reduction in Lightroom is good. In most of my images I hardly use noise reduction. In lightroom, you can decide on how much details to retain and do the noise reduction accordingly.