PDA

View Full Version : Insect ID Pls ?

Rajan Kanagasabai
13-07-2011, 07:57 PM
Have no clue on what this was . . . the servant maid was shreiking her head off while cleaning the backyard and i found this one near the fence . . . . was there for a few seconds and vanished . . .

400D, 70-300, 1.4 TC, F6, 1/50, Handheld, ISO 400

regards
Rajan

Abhishek Jamalabad
13-07-2011, 09:31 PM
It's a Painted Grasshopper. A real beauty, this one. The right antenna seems to be damaged, it looks unnaturally bent. Do tell the maid that they are quite harmless.
I'm curious about your use of the 1.4x TC with the 70-300...
TFS

Mrudul Godbole
13-07-2011, 09:46 PM
Wow, its quite colourful. Its good that she shrieked, so you could photograph this species :). Thanks for sharing.

Rajan Kanagasabai
14-07-2011, 04:14 AM
Oh, the TC story - on hearing the shreiks and panic calls, i was searching for my golf irons - thinking it was either a snake or a scorpion (no, not to kill them, but more to move them out). When i saw this insect, it was moving from one place to another. I grabbed into the Camera bag, where my daughter had this setting mounted (TC &70-300) for she was out shooting at the IIT campus that morning, and i had to make do with what was readily available, lest risk loosing any record shot.

regards
Rajan

Sabyasachi Patra
14-07-2011, 07:35 PM
Lovely colours. The servant perhaps thought that this is a minature ET (extra terrestrial) :D

Not sure why we have been taught to fear these small insects.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi