PDA

View Full Version : PKF with catch

Bhargava Srivari
15-07-2011, 04:09 PM
We'd seen this pied kingfisher bird perched on top of a dry tree stump and went as close as we could.
With the king seriously looking for a meal, it was only a matter of time before he treated himself to a large fish. For us, it was a waitin game that paid off after 20min:-)
f7.1, ISO 400, EV 0.3, 1/125sec, 400mm, cropped
canon 60D, canon 100-400 L IS USM

Abhishek Jamalabad
15-07-2011, 08:24 PM
Why a small image? Would like to see a larger one. Nice that you got it with a catch. Wish it were closer to you. Moving to the right if possible would have given you a more side-on shot. Of course, when you witness a moment like this you usually don't have much time to think before clicking :). These fellows use the same perch day after day as a vantage point to fish from, so I'm sure you could keep trying till you get the perfect shot.
TFS

Mrudul Godbole
15-07-2011, 08:52 PM
Nice to see it with a catch. I think the whites are slightly blown. The clean background looks nice. Wish it was closer and on a natural perch. Thanks for sharing.

Sabyasachi Patra
15-07-2011, 09:03 PM
I agree with Abhishek and Mrudul. If possible, it would be good to set up a makeshift hide and observe and photograph these beauties. That would give you a better closeup image.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Bhargava Srivari
15-07-2011, 11:04 PM
Making a hide for this place is not very viable: one- the birds are already kind of comfortable with people around (it is frequented by tens of families everyday!) and two- all the perches I have seen birds on in the last couple of months happen to be tree stumps/rocks/wires too much into the water and the closest one could get to the birds is just what is seen in my pictures:( If one can have 800 mm focal length on a 1.6x crop factor body, it might be possible to get close up shots :)

Thanks guys for the suggestions.

Saktipada Panigrahi
15-07-2011, 11:08 PM
Pied Kingfisher is known for its bushy crest and Powerful Thick Bill.Nice evidence of the Power of the Bill with the size of the catch. Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

Roopak Gangadharan
18-07-2011, 10:08 PM
Nice Bhargava. Wish this was closer.they tend to hover a lot. try catching them while hovering. will make a nice image...

TFS
Roopak