D90
150-500mm
f/8
ISO 400
1/250
Beanbag support

Saktipada Panigrahi
22-07-2011, 06:29 PM
Nice Photograph of a CRESTED SERPENT EAGLE(Spilornis Cheela).The yellow lores around the EYES are the distinct field marks.The TAIL branded with Black and White is also well documented.Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

Bhargava Srivari
22-07-2011, 09:05 PM
This doesn't look like a crested serpent eagle to me (I may be wrong though). I've even seen a few juvenile CSE's but they didn't look a bit like this(?). I'd go with GHFE. Nice and sharp image..the eye looks good.

tfs

Sabyasachi Patra
23-07-2011, 12:13 PM
What is GHFE?

Mrudul Godbole
23-07-2011, 12:16 PM
Looks like a Grey headed Fish Eagle to me (GHFE). Its great that you got it with a kill. Lovely eye contact and details. Slightly less space on the left would be better. I think it is with a snake(?) and not a fish.Thanks for sharing.

P.S - It will be good if we mention the full name and then the short form, so people can know.

Atul Dhamankar
23-07-2011, 12:25 PM
Hi all,
This is a Grey-Headed Fish Eagle not Crested Serpent Eagle. Sorry for not mention full name.
Atul

Sabyasachi Patra
23-07-2011, 12:27 PM
Nice image with good details. I like the composition. Good eye contact. When was this photographed? Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Roopak Gangadharan
23-07-2011, 03:40 PM
Majestic bird. Nice sharp image.Nice compo Atul

Its similarity with the Lesser Fish Eagle (Humilis) has resulted in a lot of questions being raised on the previous assessments of the distribution of this bird in south india. Initially believed to be widely spread across inland water bodies in forested areas in south, but now many of those sightings are considered to be of the LFE. The easiest field mark to separate the birds is the white upper tail feathers (in Ichthyaetus as clearly seen in this image) against chestnut brown/ Blackish brown (in Humilis) . Otherwise the birds are very similar on the field.

Mrudul : I think the catch is a fresh water eel.

TFS
Roopak