Canon 500D
150-500mm
1/1000
f/8
ISO 400
Handheld

Mrudul Godbole
24-07-2011, 01:37 PM
Nice walking pose. The eye contact is good, wish the light was on the eye. The narrow aperture has helped. I would add just a bit more space from the left to the right. Thanks for sharing.

Bhargava Srivari
24-07-2011, 04:03 PM
Nice image. I like the fact that you went in for a vertical. Agree with Mrudul about the space. Also, I'd prefer a bit more sharpness.

tfs

Dr. Kalpamoi Kakati
24-07-2011, 07:30 PM
Thanks Mrudul for your mature observations & comments. I think a horizontal would have been better for this pose.I prefer having criticism in my images from someone like you & many others who know photography,rather than from someone who is absolutely immature & hardly knows any photography. I consider those comments as SPAM & nuisance.It pollutes the atmosphere for healthy constructive criticism.I hope my point is conveyed to moderators and publisher of this website.Thanks

Sabyasachi Patra
24-07-2011, 08:23 PM
Thanks Mrudul for your mature observations & comments. I think a horizontal would have been better for this pose.I prefer having criticism in my images from someone like you & many others who know photography,rather than from someone who is absolutely immature & hardly knows any photography. I consider those comments as SPAM & nuisance.It pollutes the atmosphere for healthy constructive criticism.I hope my point is conveyed to moderators and publisher of this website.Thanks

Dr Kakati,

Did I miss any irresponsible comments that have made you angry?

Photography, especially wildlife photography is a lifelong journey. We keep on learning from anybody and everybody and from each instance. Let us not close ourselves from comments of others. May be some of the comments how ever silly it might appear on first glance, can actually lead us on a different path and eventually towards our own benefit.

I still remember the story that I had read in my childhood days about the King's clothes. It is the absolute "immature" kid who could point out that the king had forgot his clothes.

I would also like to relate another example. The National Geographic Staff Photographer Ed Kashi was in our factory to shoot. After the first hour, I asked him casually as to why he is not using the flash blur technique. He thought for a while and responded that he hadn't used that technique for more than two years or so. He then started using the flash blur technique and then in the evening thanked me profusely. That was the first day we had met and he could have immediately rejected my suggestion as he is a well known National Geographic photographer.

In Sanskrit, there is a saying : Namranti phalino brukhsaha which means a tree laden with fruit bends down. Lets try to be like our wise men, if possible and try and improve our photography hoping that our images would motivate people to save our vanishing wilderness areas and wildlife.

As wise men say, one can be like the all mighty Sun picking up (evaporating) water from every pond however filthy the pond might be. It picks up water and nothing else. Similarly one can pick up the good suggestions and ignore the rest.

Your photography is improving. Keep on pushing yourself so that it will shine and all of us will be proud.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Sabyasachi Patra
24-07-2011, 08:32 PM
Did you shoot it from a car? The light is not in your favour, else the eye would have looked glowing red. I am not sure about distractions close by, but a wider view might have been better.

The general rule of composition is verticals for tall birds and horizontal for others. However, we can always break the rules depending upon the situation.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi