PDA

View Full Version : Magpie Robin

Dileep Anthikad
03-08-2011, 05:12 PM
Camera and settings: Nikon D300 & 500mm VR f/4 + TC14E, f/8, 1/250, ISO-500 and hand-held.

Dr. Kalpamoi Kakati
03-08-2011, 05:43 PM
Nice pose & eye contact.Part of the whites on the wing got overexposed.It would have been nice ,had the rear half of the bird were also in focus:) TFS

Bhargava Srivari
03-08-2011, 05:53 PM
I would prefer a vertical frame here. Have you done any darkening to the BG? On the whole, I like the image for the nice colors.

Tfs

Mrudul Godbole
03-08-2011, 09:01 PM
Nice close-up. The head turn is interesting. The eye is sharp. I agree a vertical composition would be good. Is this full frame? Thanks for sharing.

Sabyasachi Patra
04-08-2011, 02:08 PM
Nice image. A vertical composition would also work in this case. It becomes difficult to get the head as well as tail in focus when you are using a long focal length and in low light situations. And if you are handholding, the first priority is to get a sharp image. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Atul Sinai
04-08-2011, 02:26 PM
Very sharp image for 1/250 shutter speed and handheld. Loved the details of the eye. Very well captured. I agree vertical composition would look even better. The horizontal composition with the bird placed as per thirds rule and bit more space all around would look good.

TFS

Regards,
Atul

Dileep Anthikad
04-08-2011, 11:24 PM
Thanks everyone for your feedbacks. You are right about the vertical frame. It looks much... much better when I did that.

Srivari; no BG darkening was done. Basically it was at least half f/stop underexposed.

Dr. Kalpamoi Kakati; I couldn't help over exposing the white on wings as there was some direct light fall on that spot.
Regarding the rea half of the bird, as Sabyasachi explained, this is the compromise one needs to make while using the long lenses. Or we need to get the subject in parallel with the sensor.