PDA

View Full Version : Insect ID ?

Atul Sinai
03-08-2011, 09:00 PM
Hi Guys,

Need ID of this insect. Got it on Chorao island, Goa.

Please critique this image.

Canon 600D. 55-250mm
Manual Exposure
Evaluative metering
Shutter Speed 1/800
Aperture 6.3
ISO 200
Focal Length 250mm
Cropped by 43%
Handheld

Regards,
Atul

Mrudul Godbole
03-08-2011, 09:15 PM
Nice image. I am not sure of the id. I think the insect is not in focus as the focus is locked on the plant. Do check the AF point. Thanks for sharing.

Abhishek Jamalabad
03-08-2011, 10:19 PM
This is a wasp. Not sure of the exact ID but might be family Sphecidae (commonly called "thread-waisted wasps"). Most of the Sphecid wasps have a habit of nesting in small holes or digging burrows in soil. Did you notice any such behaviour?
Nice image, the greens look good against the dark colour of the wasp. Do check the focus point, and I would also try pulling down the highlights a little.

TFS. I'm really liking your wasp images :), look forward to more.

Sabyasachi Patra
04-08-2011, 02:40 PM
Which Auto Focus point were you using? As far as focus is concerned, it is tough to get critical focus if you are cropping. The reason being, when the subject is small in the frame, the size of the focus point may be large and would fall on several areas. So the focus would not be as per your wish.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Atul Sinai
04-08-2011, 05:56 PM
Thanks guys.

I agree the image is out of focus. I was using one of the 9 AF points, one towards the lower left corner. It was very windy and the twig with the wasp was moving. Had positioned the AF point on the wasp; but the slight diffirence in time from positioning (shutter half pressed) to pressing the shutter completely made the focus point to move from the wasp to flower nearby.

Had realised it, but it flew away before I could take another shot. So I was left with this.

Regards,
Atul

Atul Sinai
04-08-2011, 07:29 PM
Abhishek, there was just one wasp, flew in and out. Did not notice any holes or digging burrows in soil nearby.

Regards,
Atul