PDA

View Full Version : Kaziranga:family protection after an alarm call by a barking deer

Saktipada Panigrahi
09-09-2011, 06:15 PM
Canon EOS300,Lens:75-300mm, Kodak 200,Scanned from Negative, MARCH 2007

Sabyasachi Patra
09-09-2011, 08:01 PM
Nice to see small elephant calves. Did you get to see the predator as well? Did they started moving away after hearing the alarm call? Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Mrudul Godbole
09-09-2011, 09:41 PM
Quite a big herd. Nice behaviour captured. Its good you could witness this behaviour. Thanks for sharing.

Saktipada Panigrahi
09-09-2011, 10:38 PM
Shri Sabyasachi,
We were 3 friends in the Jeep, with a forest guard and a knowledgeable driver.It was in the morning on 28.03.2007 between (9.30-10 a.m).My younger friends were Professional Wild Life photographers.All of us confirmed that it was an Alarm Call .We stopped the engine of the Jeep and observed total silence keeping more than normal safe distance from the Dry Nullah.On the right side of the Photograph,beneath the tall Tree (having 3 trunks)and elephant grass,we noticed the back of 2/3 Elephants .They were also observing silence and NOT COMING OUT to the open to cross the Dry Nullah.They waited for 20-30 minutes and when they were sure that the Tiger is not on move( no other alarm call heard), they crossed the Nullah led by a large Female.

We did not see any Tiger on that occasion.

We saw a Tiger, a Beauty, on 30.04.2007 at 10.47 a.m sitting for a while on road after taking Bath in Diphlu River and jumping into the grassland. I focussed it but got nervous, for the first time, to click possibly due to the ghost of Kaziranga Tiger Attack on Elephant of 2005 haunting my mind.My friends could not focuss with Long Lenses in such short period.
Kind regards,
SPP

Saktipada Panigrahi
10-09-2011, 10:33 AM
Correction of Date:Post made on 09.09.2011 night

We saw a Tiger,a fully-grown Male,stocky-built, medium height with beautiful Reddish Yellow coat on 30.03.2007 at 10.47 a.m(through oversight mentioned as 30.04.2007).

I sincerely regret for the mistake.

Since we were in Kaziranga for 6 days,we had seen some fresh kills made during that period by Tigers.

On one occasion when one young Buffalo was attacked in the early morning, stiff resistance was put forward by the Buffalo Herd, and AMAZINGLY TWO RHINO(es) who were also in the same water pool nearby rushed to the spot and joined the Herd to drive away the Tiger. The young buffalo's neck was broken and it did not survive. It's body was lying in the open space between the Elephant Grassland and the Water Pool.The Tiger came back next morning also but again it had to retreat.The Vultures enjoyed the feast for two days.This happened in the full view of the Armed Forest Guards from the balcony of the Check Post close to the spot and they narrated the incidence as we visited the spot in the morning and evening for two days.SaktiWild

Sabyasachi Patra
10-09-2011, 12:46 PM
On one occasion when one young Buffalo was attacked in the early morning, stiff resistance was put forward by the Buffalo Herd, and AMAZINGLY TWO RHINO(es) who were also in the same water pool nearby rushed to the spot and joined the Herd to drive away the Tiger. SaktiWild

It is nice to know about this incident. One species in trouble and the other joining to chase away the common enemy. Any idea which forest check post it was?

Saktipada Panigrahi
10-09-2011, 01:44 PM
The Location is:
Eastern Range,Bokaghat.
Kaziranga TR.

Roopak Gangadharan
13-09-2011, 11:07 AM
Nice narration sir.

Rgds
Roopak