PDA

View Full Version : Playtime - 1

Vikram Nanjappa
20-04-2009, 07:06 PM
Its great fun watching elephants.

Kiran Ghadge
21-04-2009, 10:07 AM
Lovely image.. Nice moment captured. It would help if you could post Exif data.

Sagar Patil
21-04-2009, 06:47 PM
Its always a fun to watch a baby elephant holding its trunk with the tail of his mother.

One will rarely see a baby is trailing behind the herds. All the members in the team will protect the baby, even though his mother is not around.
Except some parts in Africa where, it is seen, mothers only care their own babies.

Thanks for sharing this photo.

Sabyasachi Patra
21-04-2009, 09:38 PM
It helps if EXIF info is uploaded along with the photo.

I extracted the exif info from the image. ISO 200, Shutter Speed = 1/160 second, F8, OLYMPUS SP570UZ Camera.

Since the sensor size is much smaller than the digital SLRs the depth of field is more. So I would have lowered the aperture from f8 to f5.6. That would have given a shutter speed of one stop higher ie. the shutter speed would have doubled from 1/160. That would have increased the sharpness in this image. Also, with longer focal lengths, one needs to take care to steady the camera. Please check the tips on increasing sharpness.

http://www.indiawilds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268

In the past our members have used ingenious ways of supporting their camera (on head and shoulders of friends and family members). That helps in improving sharpness of the photos. Once when we were on top of an elephant, I had asked an 83 year old gentleman to rest his lens on my shoulder and click. That helped him get a few shots of a tiger.

Another factor to be checked in these cameras is whether your lens is clean or not. I have seen lot of people using point and shoot zooms with finger prints on the lens.

When clicking from a motor boat, please ask the person to shut off the engine as the amount of vibration is huge.

I like the interaction between elephant mother and child. I don't know whether the long gestation period of 22 months results in more love towards their offspring. But certainly, one can see some very touching moments.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Rahul Parekh
25-04-2009, 07:43 AM
lovely capture...Playing in the plains...