18-09-2011, 11:48 PM
Camera : Nikon D3100
Lens :Tamron 70-300 Di LD Macro
Aperture: F6.3
Shutter Speed :1/640 Sec
ISO : 1600

Bhargava Srivari
19-09-2011, 10:04 AM
Nice that you got the bird in the open. The eye has come out well. I have a feeling that the bird is not in critical focus or there was a movement of the camera at the time of clicking as the bird doesn't look sharp. Seeing the reasonably high shutter speed, you could have tried using a lower ISO, but if the lens you use does not feature image stabilisation, I am not in a position to suggest upto what shutter speeds one may be able to get sharp images. In case of lenses with IS, I have seen people shoot handheld with not-so-heavy lenses at even 1/50sec to get sharp pictures.

tfs

Mrudul Godbole
19-09-2011, 11:02 AM
Nice perch and eye contact. I agree with Bhargava's comment. A slightly off-centered composition with less space on the left would be good. Also are you using a tripod? You can also check the following thread to get sharper images - Indiawilds: Land of the Tiger. Conservation, Wildlife Photography, Communities (http://www.indiawilds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268)
Thanks for sharing.

Shariq Khan
19-09-2011, 06:03 PM
@Bhargava,
I have checked the preview of RAW file and the picture was quite sharp hence the reason you have mentioned(camera movement) is ruled out. There may be another reason(resizing the picture and lowering JPEG image quality for filesize of 300 KB).
I think that even for Image Stabilised(OS, IS, VR) lenses one cannot lower shutter speed less then 1/60 sec hand-held.

@Mrudul
Shot was taken hand-held, that's why the high shutter speed used. I will check the link shared by you.

Thanks

Bhargava Srivari
19-09-2011, 09:36 PM
Shariq,

Though I agree that it is not easy to handhold at low shutter speeds, there have been several instances where people can do that albeit with some practice. I myself have done it, though the image isn't best by any standard. Please see: Nervous cat! - Indiawilds: Land of the Tiger. Conservation, Wildlife Photography, Communities (http://www.indiawilds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7052)

thanks

Sabyasachi Patra
20-09-2011, 11:27 AM
Shariq,

Is this a crop? If so, how large is the crop?

In Canon cameras, there is a facility to check the focus using DPP (Digital Photo Professional) or Zoombrowser. No idea about Nikon.

Did you upload a large image ie. longest side greater than 1024 pixels? The file size should be less than 300kb.

Will comment more after you response.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Shariq Khan
22-09-2011, 09:07 AM
Shariq,

Is this a crop? If so, how large is the crop?

In Canon cameras, there is a facility to check the focus using DPP (Digital Photo Professional) or Zoombrowser. No idea about Nikon.

Did you upload a large image ie. longest side greater than 1024 pixels? The file size should be less than 300kb.

Will comment more after you response.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

I had not calculated amount of crop yet.
Image size is 800x551
File Size : 110 KB

Loss of sharpness may be of lowering JPEG Quality to 90 % to make image size small. Also saving image two times as JPEG may be the reason. I am working on it and will upload the corrected images soon.