PDA

View Full Version : Small Indian Civet

Roopak Gangadharan
01-10-2011, 06:02 PM
Not a good image, but this is a tough one. Small Indian civets ( Viverricula Indica ) are very shy and usually active very late in the night .They have a taste for the large dung beetle found near cattle sheds. Last May when the monsoon started I spent a few nights waiting for one near a small road with a cattle shed close by where I had 2 fleeting sightings before. Saw this one just once for a good 3 minutes foraging all around before switching on my car headlamp to make this image and it immediately bolted. Havent had time put up a night watch since. Hope to get something better soon.

500D, 55-250, 250mm, AE, f5.6, ISO3200, SS 1/13, -0.7EC

Regards
Roopak

V S Sankar
01-10-2011, 11:29 PM
Good document sir.Very difficult to even sight these leave alone taking photographs......Iam also on the lookout for these elusive wonders now a days.....

Regards

Bhargava Srivari
02-10-2011, 09:22 AM
Of course a difficult scene to photograph. Nice to know that you have these creatures near your place. Even in hyderabad, we have lots of them in the KBR national park, but unfortunately, cameras are not allowed into the park :(

tfs

Sabyasachi Patra
02-10-2011, 03:58 PM
Good to know that you could see it. Sadly most of the times we see these nocturnal animals crushed under speeding vehicles. Did you switch on your engine? Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Mrudul Godbole
03-10-2011, 07:51 PM
Good you could sight it. Nice record image. Thanks for sharing the detailed information. Hope you get some more sightings. Thanks for sharing.

Roopak Gangadharan
03-10-2011, 10:48 PM
Yes i did switch on the engine.Basics ... but thats what the camera does to you sometimes. Kicked myself for doing that later.

Rgds
Roopak