PDA

View Full Version : Indian Roller

Ashok Sorout
02-10-2011, 07:54 PM
Shot this at RNP today, 7D, 100-400 @ 400mm, AV mode, F5.6, 1/500, ISO 320. Post Processing done using Photoscape, little bit cropping (I think I am not good in that).

Ashok Sorout
02-10-2011, 07:56 PM
Original image, just size reduced

Bhargava Srivari
02-10-2011, 09:35 PM
Honestly, neither of the images look sharp. The composition in the cropped version is ok. I think you have to now concentrate in achieving focus as near to the subject's head region as possible. My other suggestion would be to start using either Lightroom 3.3 or Photoshop CS5 for image editing.

tfs

Sabyasachi Patra
03-10-2011, 01:17 PM
Moving more to your left to avoid the twig would have been great. Which AF point were you using? How come ISO 320?

I have no idea about Photoscape.

Lightroom is accepted as the best by most of the photographers world wide. If you want to do extensive manipulation, cloning, adding elements (the list is endless) then you can go for Photoshop as suggested by Bhargava. Photoshop is more for the digital creators and lightroom has been created keeping photographers in mind.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Bhargava Srivari
03-10-2011, 01:25 PM
Sabyasachi,

That is a curious point you have mentioned about photoshop. However, even in photoshop, one can use the basic editing tools and ignore the other creative tools like clone stamp, healing brush etc etc. One advantage with photoshop is, the user has more control on even the basic tools that he uses. Also, even if a minor issue, once gets to move around the copyright mention anywhere on the image and see to it that the copyright doesn't fall in an area close to the subject, thereby distracting the viewers.

Cheers

Sabyasachi Patra
03-10-2011, 01:56 PM
Bhargava,
Whatever I mentioned about photoshop is a fact. Whether anyone agrees to it or not, that doesn't change the fact.

Adobe (also the makers of Photoshop) have included clone, healing brush etc in lightroom. For photographers one doesn't need more than that. In Photoshop, the degrees of control over the clone and other tools are more, as Photoshop is meant for digital creators.

Copyright notice can be placed anywhere in lightroom. The user has complete control over it.

I find new guys who started photography getting attracted to photoshop as they think photoshop is a shortcut to get good photographs. Nothing can be farther from the truth. If one clicks a handful of photographs, and has no option of going back to click, then one can spend endless hours trying to salvage it using Photoshop.

Better to refine your technique and click better images rather than get into these needless photoshop stunts.

One can decide whether to become a photographer or a digital artist. There are too many fellows making a living creating brochures etc in photoshop. They can do a better job than any photographer (by virtue of them doing things in photoshop all the time).

One can decide whether the core competence of a wildlife photographer is in photoshop or in photography. There are many wildlife photographers who encourage others to do photoshop, as demand for learning photoshop will help them in taking workshops, selling CDs etc.

Sabyasachi

Bhargava Srivari
03-10-2011, 02:04 PM
Sabyasachi,

That was really enlightening :)

Thanks for the detailed response.

Bhargava

Mrudul Godbole
03-10-2011, 07:17 PM
The perch and the eye contact is nice. Do check the AF point, to see where the focus point was locked. Also the original image looks a bit brighter, than the converted image (in my monitor) so do check the levels. Thanks for sharing.

I personally will always recommend Lightroom as it has all the things needed for a Photographer and have been designed keeping that in mind. I agree the copyright mark can be adjusted (font, size, colour, location) and placed as needed.