PDA

View Full Version : Zitting Cisiticola....

Tapas Chattopadhyay
06-10-2011, 01:09 AM
Shot at Rajarhat, Kolkata...f 6.3; SS 1/1000; ISO 640; Metering mode: Pattern, sRGB

Sabyasachi Patra
06-10-2011, 12:20 PM
Hi Tapas,
Did you shoot in sRGB?

Due to the colour space, it is better to shoot in RGB and then convert to sRGB for posting in the net.

Nice image. I like the eye contact. The image would have been even better if you could have clicked at a moment when there was separation between the beak and the perch. These birds can easily fly off, so it is always better to take a few shots before waiting for the right angle, pose and separation of beak and vegetation etc.

Look forward to more of these cute little birds. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Tapas Chattopadhyay
06-10-2011, 12:36 PM
Thanks for ur advice Mr. Patra.....I need some more advice from you to clarify some doubts:

1. Should I always shoot in Adobe RGB mode in RAW?
2. Should I use Auto white balance or Daylight WB during shooting?
3. Should I use "Evaluative" metering during shooting?

If I shoot in RAW and as I am really novice in PP, it will be helpful if u give some link to study for how to convert RAW images to jpeg, and what basic processing steps to be done during RAW images and with JPEG, after conversion...

Sabyasachi Patra
06-10-2011, 12:56 PM
1. Adobe RGB in RAW. And then while converting for uploading in web, convert it to sRGB and post. That is because not all browsers are colour managed. For printing, your printer will need an Adobe RGB image. If you participate in any competition, they too will ask for Adobe RGB colour space.

2. Better to use Auto White Balance while shooting. You can always tinker with the white balance during post processing. Which software do you use for post processing?

3. Evaluative is very much evolved and better than the other metering modes. To start with, I would suggest that you use evaluative metering and learn it fully. Over a period of time, you will be able to realise how your camera using the evaluative metering handles a scene and will dial in the required positive or negative exposure compensation.

4. Once your knowledge level increases, then you can use manual mode. For example, if you are clicking a bird flying then your exposure changes. However, with better better understanding, one can use manual mode to set the exposure based on the light and click. For videos, manual metering is very essential.

5. You can check the basic steps for processing an image in Lightroom here: Indiawilds: Land of the Tiger. Conservation, Wildlife Photography, Communities (http://www.indiawilds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2287) You can directly convert your RAW images to jpeg or tiff etc in lightroom with the desired changes.

6. The Digital Photo Professional (DPP) that comes bundled with the Canon cameras is also good. However, Lightroom is the favourite due to its image conversion as well as cataloging facilities.

Sabyasachi

Mrudul Godbole
06-10-2011, 07:59 PM
Nice perch and lovely eye contact. Did you try a vertical composition? Thanks for sharing.