View Full Version : extension tubes

Uma Kathyayini
12-10-2011, 11:23 AM
Dear all,

I have a basic question-
I have canon eos 1000d camera with basic
18-55mm lens and 55 - 250 mm telephoto zoom lens. With 250mm I found
it difficult to shoot distant objects. I learnt that extension tubes
cannot be added to this lens. Since i am a hobbyist and infant in this field, I would like to make use of the basic equipments without going in for highend products.
Retailing the basic camera, what other options I have, to extend the focal length. Kindly throw me light on this :confused:

Sabyasachi Patra
12-10-2011, 02:02 PM
Dear Uma,
It was nice interacting with you during the screening.

What is your budget?

I suggest that you retain the camera and buy a good lens. The Canon EF 400mm f5.6 L USM lens is a good lens. It costs about 1300 USD in USA and in India should be costing around 60K. I have to check the latest prices in India.

The Canon 300mm F4 L IS USM is also a good lens and it works well with the TC. However, the cost is slightly higher than the 400mm f5.6 L USM lens at 1380 USD. India price hovers around 70-75k.

The Canon EF 100-400 f3.5-5.6 L IS USM lens costs about 1700 USD in USA and in India costs nearly a lakh.

The prices have increased a lot since the Tsunami in Japan. Despite improvement in the situation, the prices have remained the same.

If you want to compromise on quality, then you can go for third party lenses like the Sigma. One can go for the Sigma 150-500 lens which would be about 10-12k INR cheaper than the Canon 400mm f5.6 L USM lens. However, the huge difference in quality.

I normally advice people to buy less, but the best quality. These Canon L series lenses will last a life time and if at any point of time you want to sell, then they wont depreciate much. You can always find buyers easily.

Sabyasachi

Saktipada Panigrahi
13-10-2011, 10:42 AM
Shri Sabyasachi,
I shall be glad to know your valued opinion about results of Canon EF 400mm f 5.6 L USM Lens in HANDHELD OPERATION with my Canon EOS 300 Film Camera.I want to retain the Body for the at least 1-2 years.
Kind regards,
SaktiWild

Uma Kathyayini
13-10-2011, 11:01 AM
thanks for the reply. The telephto offers single Fl , where as telephto zoom offers varied FLs. which is better ?. I checked the prices in better photography magzine, they are still on higer side. :mad:

Sabyasachi Patra
13-10-2011, 11:31 AM
Shaktipadaji,
The 400mm f5.6 L USM lens is sharp and works well with the EOS 300. I had the EOS 300V camera and then later shifted to EOS 1V HS. The lens is good for handheld work as well though it doesn't have image stabilisation. So breathing out and clicking, the way a rifle shooter does will help. It is a sharp lens and you will certainly be happy with the results.

Sabyasachi

Shri Sabyasachi,
I shall be glad to know your valued opinion about results of Canon EF 400mm f 5.6 L USM Lens in HANDHELD OPERATION with my Canon EOS 300 Film Camera.I want to retain the Body for the at least 1-2 years.
Kind regards,
SaktiWild

Sabyasachi Patra
13-10-2011, 11:32 AM
Uma,
Don't go by the better photography prices. Those are list prices and no body updates those.
I will mail you the number of the dealer in bangalore and you can check the latest price.

Earlier prime lenses used to be much better than zooms in terms of sharpness. Now the zoom lenses are very good as well. Single focal length has got its limitation if the subject is close to you, like an elephant moving close to your jeep. In those cases a zoom will be better. However, for wildlife photography most of the times you need long focal length. For birding it is extremely essential to have a long focal length.

Sabyasachi

thanks for the reply. The telephto offers single Fl , where as telephto zoom offers varied FLs. which is better ?. I checked the prices in better photography magzine, they are still on higer side. :mad: