PDA

View Full Version : Mottled Wood Owl

Bibhav Behera
12-10-2011, 03:02 PM
Since we have been talking about owls so much, I thought I would contribute one more species, though a record shot under bad light. This was shot in Sasan Gir.
Happy Lakhsmi Puja Everyone...

This is full frame and isn't very sharp so decided not to crop it and let it be as such.

Canon 450D, 420mm
SS 1/15
f/5.6
ISO 1600

Atul Sinai
12-10-2011, 03:26 PM
Nice eye contact. Looks like it was tough to get it clear, can see some out of focus leaves in the foreground. I prefer it full frame, gives a nice habitat display.

Were you carring your monopod/tripod? might have helped in this case.

TFS

Regards,
Atul

Bibhav Behera
12-10-2011, 03:33 PM
Hi Atul! I had left my monopod and my Tripod in Goa for the. Gir trip! Did regret it later!

Bhargava Srivari
12-10-2011, 05:41 PM
Could you conduct coaching classes for shooting at low shutter speeds? I'd enroll for sure :D

Cheers

Sabyasachi Patra
12-10-2011, 08:26 PM
It is good that you presented it with the habitat. Of course cropping exacerbates the lack of sharpness. Wish you had better light. Better luck next time. Was this in the enclosure as well?

I agree that monopod would have been good here. If you find that handholding is not giving the desired results, then better to place the lens on the nearby persons shoulder and fire. :D

I had done that (my heavy 400mm f2.8 plus 2x Tc) as it is too hard to handhold and get sharp shots at lower shutter speeds. :D Anyone wanting to assist me should be willing for such occupational hazards. :D

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Bibhav Behera
12-10-2011, 10:53 PM
Hi Sabyasachi. This was in the sanctuary outskirts. I was shooting pressing myself against a tree for that wee bit of additional stability. :)

Roopak Gangadharan
13-10-2011, 09:53 PM
Nice. yet to get an image of one of these in daylight.

Did u hear it call. Actually it has 3 different sets of calls ( from what I’ ve heard).The spooky one will really give the shakes to the unaware... was a witness of this once and thoroughly enjoyed it... :D

TFS
Roopak