PDA

View Full Version : OHB calling

Prashant Jois
12-10-2011, 10:58 PM
Another OHB female, a different post and a different angle. Hope you guys would like it. This image was taken during early September this year. Thanks for viewing and please on your C&C.

Body - Canon 7D
Lens - 100-400
Shutter speed - 1/1600
ISO - 200
Aperture value - 9 in aperture priority
Exposure compensation: -1/3
Focal length - 400 mm

During PP, the image was exposed by 2 stops and recovered shadow by 20% and highlight by 10% apart from leveling, sharpening, and noise reduction.

Bhargava Srivari
13-10-2011, 10:11 AM
Prashant,

Nice image. The details have come out well. Why not expose the image correctly in the field itself rather than having to increase exposure during PP? This will result in more noise at higher ISO's. The best way to keep a track of exposure is to shoot an image or two with an exposure that would be roughly accurate (you'll get that from experience I guess) and see the histogram. If the exposure isn't right going by the histogram, you can adjust the EC and shoot again. The histogram is the basic tool that will help you expose correctly. One must always 'shoot to the right'. You can find more about the histogram and exposing a subject accordingly in a couple of discussions in the Photography tips section.

Cheers

Roopak Gangadharan
13-10-2011, 01:33 PM
Nice you got most of it in the clear.

TFS
Roopak

Sabyasachi Patra
13-10-2011, 03:11 PM
At the moment, the head facing you is in shadow. Wish the head was turned the other way.

It is good that there is no intervening vegetation between the bird and you. When you point your lens towards the sky and shoot and the bird is small in the frame, the camera meter is likely to read more portions of the sky and base its metering suggestion accordingly. In such situations, if you are shooting in Av or TV mode, then dial an exposure compensation, as appropriate. You may not get enough time to click, review and then correct again. Try to review your own images and then you will get a hang of it.

You can check the tutorials in the photography tips sections and you will know more about metering using histogram as well as in manual.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Mrudul Godbole
13-10-2011, 08:57 PM
Nice calling pose. Agree light from behind you would have enhanced the image further. Thanks for sharing.

Prashant Jois
13-10-2011, 10:27 PM
Thank you all for your comments and suggestions to which I totally agree upon and would try to improve upon them. One of the major problems while shooting raptors is that (and you all must have faced it), it would not allow you to get close to it. Same thing happened with me in this case and to add on to my frustration, I had to position the car and shoot while facilitating others who accompanied me. And during this battle of position the vehicle and shoot, I never realized when the EC went to the -ve region. The image was no that great. I realized it as soon as I looked at the histogram but I was too late by then as the bird flew off and I could not sight it later on. But when I processed it digitally, I felt little better.

So the moral of the story is shoot correctly and get better images straight from camera (to avoid spending time during PP)

Thank you all,
-Prashant.