PDA

View Full Version : Kanha:first time mother goes hunting at sunset

Saktipada Panigrahi
13-10-2011, 09:10 AM
CANON EOS 300,75-300mm,Kodak 200,Scanned from Negative Print.May,2005
Modern Camera Trap Method Focusses on STRIPES FOR IDENTIFICATION OF TIGERS.I have done so in this Photograph.Except for ONE Tiger in Kaziranga,I have not seen any Tiger with such Beautiful Stripes.Scanned fom Negative.

Sabyasachi Patra
13-10-2011, 11:38 AM
Was it clicked early in the morning?

Side profile photos of tigers are of help in identification through stripes. Stripes are as unique as our fingerprints. This tiger seems to have some nice nearly unbroken stripes on the body. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Saktipada Panigrahi
14-10-2011, 12:14 AM
This young Tigress was photographed at KANHA CHURI on the 21 th May,2005 AFTER SUNSET. About half an hour earlier ,I told the Driver to turn left and take a desolate forest road normally not used by Tourist vehicles .On the right side of road ,a herd of Chitals were grazing in the grassland.I saw the glimpse of a Tiger at a distance on the left inside the grassland and stopped the vehicle. The Tigress came out of grass at normal walking speed from the left,looked at us,crossed the road and entered into grass on the right hand side targetting the herd of Chital.I was told that it was Her First Litter with two small cubs.Light faded at rapid pace, as it happens inside any Indian Jungle.
We saw Pug Marks of A large Male Tiger on the main Forest Road not far off.The Guide and Driver told us that it was a LEGE KATA BAGH, with one half of Tail remaining.We were deeply concerned about wellbeing of the cubs and the Mother.

My mind was filled with Joy,about Three Years later, when I could easily Identify this very Tigress,returning majestically with a Chital Kill, photographed only a few months earlier,displayed in an Exhibition in Kolkata.I cannot tell you whether on that particular 21st May,2005 evening, she came back with the same success to Feed Her Eagerly Waiting Cubs!SaktiWild

Mrudul Godbole
14-10-2011, 10:11 AM
Thanks for sharing your experience in detail. It surely helps when you can identify a tiger so you know of its well being over the years. It kind of establishes a bond. Without having that knowledge, photography becomes very mechanical. Look forward to know more about your trips. Thanks for sharing.

Atul Sinai
17-10-2011, 09:23 PM
Nice image, well documented. Thanks a lot for sharing the image as well as the info.

Regards,
Atul