PDA

View Full Version : Troublesome tourism

Bhargava Srivari
22-10-2011, 02:43 PM
Shot this image in Tadoba neat the Tadoba lake last weekend.

Seeing this scene, I was convinced that wildlife tourism must be the last thing on the to-be-popularised list. In fact, what India needs today is de-popularisation of wildlife reserves.

canon 60D, canon 100-400 L IS USM
not sharing exif data as I intend this to only be a documentation of the sad state of affairs.

Praveen Siddannavar
22-10-2011, 06:35 PM
Can't believe this happens in a forest along with a qualified guide and I am surprised how the Nilgai too is acquainted to humans.

Nicely documented Bhargava, tfs

Atul from Tadoba can add his views on this incident

Bhargava Srivari
22-10-2011, 06:37 PM
Praveen sir,

Thanks for the response. I believe it is we humans who have made the animal a semi-domestic one.

Saktipada Panigrahi
23-10-2011, 12:39 AM
Distressed to see this Document.I think we may examine the feasibility of bringing this episode to the knowledge of the concerned authorities for putting a full stop.Hopefully some corrective action will be taken.Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

P.S:Here in the suburbs of Kolkata,Santragachi Jheel is in dire state when thousands of Migratory Birds are expected to arrive in November but some positive developmens are taking place through initiatives of the Nature Lovers.

Sabyasachi Patra
23-10-2011, 11:00 AM
Touching, feeding wild animals is not right. Research studies have shown that close proximity to humans result in transmission of diseases to the wild animals for which they have no defense.

Is this near any resthouse? How this nilgai got accustomed to humans?

Bhargava Srivari
23-10-2011, 11:50 AM
Sabyasachi,

This was near the rest house on the banks of tadoba dam. However, I think that rest house has been closed for tourists for a long time now.

Cheers

Mrudul Godbole
23-10-2011, 01:24 PM
I had heard this too for some friends who had visited Tadoba. They too told me that the Nilgai came and licked their hands. It seems people have been feeding it, so it has got used to coming close to humans. Not sure how come the guides in the car allow this. Thanks for sharing.

John Gryphon
21-05-2014, 10:24 AM
Well I doubt that they will ever touch a tiger!