PDA

View Full Version : Brown Shrike

Atul Sinai
24-10-2011, 08:16 AM
Hi,

This was shot in Pune. On this occasion I was successful in getting as close to the bird as I wanted to without disturbing it.

It sat on the perch for around 10 mins which allowed me to get closer. The perch along with the bird was moving around due the the wind so went in for slightly higher shutter speed and had to time my shots.

Please critique this image.

Canon 600D. 400mm f5.6
Manual Exposure
Manual Focus
Manual metering
Shutter Speed 1/320
Aperture 7.1
ISO 200
Focal Length 400mm
Full Frame
Tripod Support

Regards,
Atul

Mrudul Godbole
24-10-2011, 09:48 AM
A slight head turn towards you would have enhanced the eye contact further. Placing it a bit more to the right would have been good. The ruffled feathers look nice. Thanks for sharing.

Sabyasachi Patra
24-10-2011, 02:26 PM
I agree. The diagonal composition looks nice. Slight head turn would have been great. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Abhishek Jamalabad
24-10-2011, 03:53 PM
Agree about the head turn. Nice pose. I like the green tones here.
TFS

Dr. Kalpamoi Kakati
24-10-2011, 04:06 PM
Nice display of habitat.Eye contact is good.Atul ,I think this one is a Grey backed shrike rather than Brown shrike.Kindly check it.Thanks for sharing.

Atul Sinai
24-10-2011, 07:43 PM
Thanks guys !
Dr. Kalpamoi, I had checked for Grey backed shrike when searching for ID of this bird, but my reference tells me that we don't find Grey backed shrike is south-west India. Both these birds look quite similar though. The brown shrike is smaller 19cm whereas the grey backed shrike is 25cm. Size wise this was around 19cm.

Regards,
Atul

Dr. Kalpamoi Kakati
24-10-2011, 07:54 PM
Thanks guys !
Dr. Kalpamoi, I had checked for Grey backed shrike when searching for ID of this bird, but my reference tells me that we don't find Grey backed shrike is south-west India. Both these birds look quite similar though. The brown shrike is smaller 19cm whereas the grey backed shrike is 25cm. Size wise this was around 19cm.

Regards,
Atul

If size is small,it could be a Bay backed shrike as well.Bill is more like a bay backed shrike.Also bay backed shrike is the smallest of Indian Shrike and distribution is widespread in India from Himalayan Foothills to Kanyakumari.