PDA

View Full Version : A curious Babbler

Prajwal J Ullal
28-10-2011, 07:36 AM
About a year back I had recorded calls of a babbler at my uncle's house in Bhosari. Strange thing is its call attracted all other birds, but when i tried it back in Baramati, all the birds used to fly away.
I tried the same call at same place again the birds started coming near. In this case this babbler got too curious as well as uneasy with the sound and used to come too close and fly off to a far away branch repeatedly. This activity was so fast that manually focusing on the bird was becoming very tough. Somehow I could manage taking this shot.
EXIF
F/5.6
Exp time 1/100
ISO 400
-0.3 step
Focal length 250 mm

Equipment
Canon EOS 550D
55-250 IS lens

Mrudul Godbole
28-10-2011, 09:49 AM
Birds do get confused because of the call. I am not sure how good it is use calls frequently. for photography. Is this a crop? There seems to be some loss in details. Some more space at the bottom to include the tail would be good. Thanks for sharing.

Sabyasachi Patra
28-10-2011, 10:06 AM
In abroad photographers use bird calls to get the birds closer. There are many bird photographers and birdwatchers in India who use bird calls. However, using bird calls may not be the right thing as it often counterproductive to them. Too often the birds get distracted and disoriented. In my childhood days I used to try and imitate bird calls and this used to result in a kind of "slanging match" with the bird and myself progressively raising the pitch of the call. I thought those were juvenile days and these kinds of things are over. Alas!

This appears to be a large crop and details have been lost. Better to retain details and show the bird and animal in its habitat.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Prajwal J Ullal
28-10-2011, 02:03 PM
Well this image was in landscape, i cropped just the sides to make it more potraitish.
The problem was i was inside the balcony which was heavily grilled and also had heavy vegetation on the outside. So i had to struggle a lot to clear the grill as well as leaves to get a clear shot. Also the bird was very restless and jumped from one branch to the other. So probably the loss of detail was due to the obstruction of leaves or grill