PDA

View Full Version : Portrait of a Jackal

Prashant Jois
29-10-2011, 07:32 PM
This image is the reason why I compelled myself to shoot well below the zoom capacity of my zoom lens.

Actually, I was bit taken by surprise to see a Jackal as it was least expected and suddenly it decided to come close by (as close as 10 feet or so) and was bit tensed and no mood to stay there. This created anxiety as well as panic within me to take my snaps in a hurry and in between all of this I did not realize that I had cropped the legs :(. During this time, I also ended up spoiling up the EXIF setting but luckily was able to restore to a great extent.

Anyways, life would give me another chance to improve upon this. Handheld shot (of course took support from the window glass of the car) using Canon 7D with 100-400mm and slightly cropped. ISO 100, 1/80s, F 9 in aperture mode at 400mm. This image was taken at 6:52 am.

The other image of this Jackal which was taken after this shot can be seen in my earlier post at "http://indiawilds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7785"

Mrudul Godbole
29-10-2011, 10:26 PM
Lovely stare. The alert look is nice. Agree including the legs would have enhanced the image further. Sighting a jackal in Hasserghatta, is really very rare. Thanks for sharing.

Sabyasachi Patra
31-10-2011, 12:01 PM
Nice sighting. I like the stare. Normally, jackals were found on the outskirts of villages, however, these days there is hardly a large enough place where jackals can live. These days jackals have become really scarce and it is difficult to sight them.

I like the alert look and am very happy to know that still jackals are surviving there in hessarghatta. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Bhargava Srivari
07-11-2011, 04:27 PM
It is always tough to be prepared for such sudden sightings. But, isn't life about being able to expect the unexpected? :D Nice image. The eyes look good. I wish you were at a higher ISO. On the 7D, it is safe to keep the ISO at 400, so that you will get good shutter speeds in decent lighting.

tfs