PDA

View Full Version : New Arrivals: Books on Nature and Wildlife

Saktipada Panigrahi
04-11-2011, 12:25 PM
Bombay Natural History Society (BNHS) have published A New Book(Co-publisher:Oxford University Press) titled-
BIRDS OF THE INDIAN SUBCONTINENT-A Field Guide
by Ranjit Manakadan,J.C.Daniel &Nikhil Bhopale
Price:Rs.550
The Book appears to be Handy but lacks "Call of the Bird"
SaktiWild

Sabyasachi Patra
14-11-2011, 08:19 PM
BNHS has published some good books. So I am sure this one would be good too.

Saktipada Panigrahi
02-12-2011, 10:30 AM
This famous book was out of Print for a long time.Yesterday I visited Oxford's Main Book Store in Salt Lake,Sector-V,Kolkata(my favourite haunting ground) and found displaying of the leaflet about the ensuing arrival of the New Print of the Book enriched with Colour Plates. They confirmed that the Book may reach their store anytime definitely within December,2011.SaktiWild

Saktipada Panigrahi
02-01-2012, 10:21 AM
THE STATESMAN,KOLKATA:SUNDAY:01-01-2012
"Beginning in 1950 and for more than four decades,late M.Krishnan contributed"Country Notebook"to the Sunday Statesman.He kept several generations of readers enthralled with his whimsical,brilliant prose and his acute observation of nature.2012 is the birth centenary of the naturalist,photographer,writer and artist and we pay tribute to him by publishing a selection of his earliest writings.Beginning today,and every Sunday,Country Notebook will appear in the Sunday Statesman once again to evoke nostalgia among older readers and to acquaint younger ones with the work of a genius.The first installment of this re-issued series appears in 8th Day."-The Sunday Statesman,Kolkata dated 01-01-2012.

Yesterday in the Sunday Statesman (01-01-2011) his article;"VOICE OF SPRING" was re-printed on the pages of the supplement titled 8th Day which forms a part of The Sunday Statesman.
SaktiWild
N.B:
The Moderator is requested NOT to post my late night writing yesterday(01-01-2012) in a separate thread opened by MISTAKE as I propose to post a Tribute to M.Krishnan after going through a number of re-issued articles at a later date.

Sabyasachi Patra
03-01-2012, 02:47 PM
Wow!

I just can't believe that The Statesman thought of reprinting all the articles. They deserve a big Thank You from us. I used to eagerly wait for the Statesman to read those articles. However, as I was a kid at that time I would have internalised only a small part of his writings. I am waiting to read those again. His writings were truly illuminating. I hope this country can produce more such knowledgeable and visionary individuals.

Sabyasachi

Saktipada Panigrahi
04-01-2012, 07:03 AM
"The koel is associated with spring inseparably in every Indian language.No bird has its voice more celebrated in romantic literature.There are other songsters in our country with more musical natures and more melodious throats,many others.I have heard the Shama and the Racket-tailed Drongo in the same patch of the forest; sweet,rich, liquid melody poured out in passionate song, and the Drongo's high, clear greetings to the sun.The Magpie Robin,Laughing Thrushes and the Pied Wagtail, familiar birds all, have exceptional musical gifts and sing freely and charmingly.The Skylark's fragile,pure voice comes down on field and fallow land in the countryside, the Fantail Flycatcher sings its little tinkling little song in the mango groves and even the homely Bushchat, sitting atop one's gate is capable of a wild,welling,joyous melody.How is that in a land where such birds are around, the koel, musically far less accomplished, has had his voice so celebrated?
The answer lies in the association between koel and spring, and love and spring."-M.Krishnan

This paragraph has been quoted from first installment of the re-printed series from "Country Notebook" by M.Krishnan in the SUNDAY STATESMAN dated 01-01-2012.This was first published on 27-08-1950.
I thought, I may place one paragraph from his first re-printed article before our members and viewers for what he meant about observation and the literary beauty of his writing.SaktiWild

Saktipada Panigrahi
11-04-2012, 02:36 PM
VOICES IN THE WILDERNESS:
Contemporary Wildlife Writings
Edited by:Prerna Singh Bindra
Rupa & Co
New Delhi
Price: Rs.395
(Pages:235,Photo Plates:30)

A collection of some of the most lucid writings on India's wildlife by over twenty distinguished naturalists,scientists and authors whose writings paint a vivid picture of India's amazing wildlife, from the charismatic tiger to the caterpillar.

SaktiWild

Prasad Dingankar
13-04-2012, 10:10 AM
Edited by:Prerna Singh Bindra
Rupa & Co
New Delhi
Price: Rs.395
(Pages:235,Photo Plates:30)

SaktiWild[/QUOTE]

How to order a copy? some details please.

Saktipada Panigrahi
02-02-2013, 10:35 AM
13 th. Edition
Revised by J.C.Daniel 2012
With 64 Plates in colour by Carl D'Silva (depicting 538 species)
5 in line and 8 plates of colour photographs

BOMBAY NATURAL HISTORY SOCIETY
OXFORD UNIVERSITY PRESS
Price:Rs.495/=

SaktiWild

Saktipada Panigrahi
02-02-2013, 10:46 AM
First published in India 2012
forwarded by Zafar Futehally
edited by Shanthi and Ashish Chandola
ALEPH BOOK COMPANY
New Delhi
Price:Rs.595/=

SaktiWild

Saktipada Panigrahi
02-02-2013, 10:50 AM
First published in 2012
Second impression 2012
OXFORD UNIVERSITY PRESS
Price: Rs.225/=

SaktiWild

Saktipada Panigrahi
18-11-2013, 06:22 PM
New Arrival: TRIPWIRE FOR A TIGER : Selected Works of F.W.CHAMPION
Pages:202 No. of selected Articles:24
Publisher: Rainfed Books, Chennai
Price: Rs.495

Saktipada Panigrahi
18-06-2014, 04:45 PM
New Arrival: INDIAN MAMMALS: A Field Guide

VIVEK MENON

First published in 2014 by Hachette India
Hachette Book Publishing India Pvt Ltd.
Price: Rs.850*
[ Hachette, International Fund for Animal Welfare (IFAW) & Wildlife Trust of India ]

The compact guide covers more than 400 species of both land and water mammals and contains about 1000 curated photographs (Pages: 528).

*Flipkart has been offering the book at Rs.584 (payment on delivery) at present.

I have found the book fairly comprehensive and very useful.
Kind regards, SaktiWild

Saktipada Panigrahi
03-03-2015, 12:12 PM
New Arrivals: Books on Nature and Wildlife
__________________________________________________ _______________________________________

NATURE CHRONICLES OF INDIA
essays on wildlife
edited by
Ananda Banerjee
Rupa Publications India Pvt. Ltd. New Delhi
First Impression 2014
Price: Rs.195 (pages:158)
-----------------------------------------

This book is an attempt to revive some of the writings from the colonial period which have inspired many modern day naturalists. The first section features writings on seven modern researches and the second consists of diverse stories by seven British wildlife writers.

This is not a reference book or a handbook on wildlife. The book evokes the sense of wonder in the minds of the readers.

Kind regards,
SaktiWild