2/10/2011 9:56 am
Canon 7D with 100-400mm lens
Aperture priority
Tv 1/640s
F 11
ISO 200
400mm
cropped close to 1/3 of the original size

How could I have avoided the white background, I mean how could I have managed to keep the original look and feel of the water? It was cloudy day with no sun light but the whitish clouds were there.

Sabyasachi Patra
06-11-2011, 01:59 PM
With frontal lighting, the dabchick can get illuminated well. In this case, its head facing towards you was in shade. So there was more difference in exposure between the bird and the water. Exposing for the bird (shaded side) ensures that the water becomes bright and loses detail. So you need to position yourself according to light.

Prashant Jois
07-11-2011, 11:25 PM
Sabyasachiji,

Thanks a lot for your piece of advise. As usual a beginner like me would have never thought in this direction until this point, instead end up thinking that there is something wrong in our shot. I think this is a good eye-opener for me.

Regards,
-Prashant.

Saktipada Panigrahi
07-11-2011, 11:43 PM
It appears to me to be in Breeding Plumage. Please recheck and correct me if I am Wrong.Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

Prashant Jois
07-11-2011, 11:50 PM
Saktipada,

This is non breeding plumage....From wiki...

During breeding/winter season, its size, buff plumage, with a darker back and cap, and “powder puff” rear end enable easy identification of this species.

During non-breeding/summer seaton, predominantly dark above with its rich, rufous colour neck, cheeks and flanks, and bright yellow gape.

You can check both the images as Wiki using the link Little Grebe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Grebe)

Regards,
-Prashant.

Saktipada Panigrahi
08-11-2011, 10:51 AM
Saktipada,

This is non breeding plumage....From wiki...

During breeding/winter season, its size, buff plumage, with a darker back and cap, and “powder puff” rear end enable easy identification of this species.

During non-breeding/summer seaton, predominantly dark above with its rich, rufous colour neck, cheeks and flanks, and bright yellow gape.

You can check both the images as Wiki using the link Little Grebe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Grebe)

Regards,
-Prashant.
Many thanks Prashant Bhai.
Nice reflection has been captured in the Image.Shri Sabyasachi has already given his expert advice.I only wonder about the distinct white mark between the base of the bill and the eye vis-a-vis colour of the plumage.This contrast is visible in Little Grebe in breeding plumage even when the colour of the plumage does not appear natural.My view remains the same.
Kind regards,SaktiWild

Roopak Gangadharan
08-11-2011, 04:33 PM
Looks like the bird is in transformation as it certainly has some breeding features and plumage.

TFS
Roopak