PDA

View Full Version : Gaur - bandipur

Sabyasachi Patra
17-11-2011, 10:19 PM
This is one of the last shots with my beloved Mark II. Since 2010 it has hardly seen any action due to my foray into filming. Rather than continue to keep it in my dry box I decided to sell it off.

This was more of a grab shot in low light. I was in two minds as to use a slower shutter speed and do some panning work with the running gaur or not.

Canon EOS 1D Mark II, Canon EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM, EF 1.4xII TC, ISO 400, f4, 1/125, full frame image.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Saktipada Panigrahi
18-11-2011, 12:32 AM
Good habitat photo taken in a hurry.Well composed.The Gaur is on Long March.Possibly it has fallen behind the herd.Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

V S Sankar
18-11-2011, 09:28 AM
The animal looks less intimidating for me,probabily because of the angle.I would have preferred little more brightness and sharpness.Hope you will share the videos as well!

Regards

Bhargava Srivari
18-11-2011, 07:08 PM
Oh. So, you sold the mk II ! What will replace it? The 1D mkIV when you get the 1D X, perhaps?

tfs

Sabyasachi Patra
18-11-2011, 09:17 PM
The Mark II had its own place. Each camera has its own place and abilities. These days I am mostly filming.

1D X is a great camera. However, I have to see if its codec is approved by BBC or not. Else, one won't be able to use it as a full fledged film camera. At the moment the details of the codec of 1DX is not released by Canon as it is a prototype and Canon is still tweaking things.

The other thing is I don't crop. My compositions are primarily in camera. The 1DX is a full frame camera and the Mark IV and Mark II are 1.3 crop cameras. So either I need to go closer or stop shooting/filming a few subjects.

Anyway, I am now evaluating Canon's Cine cameras for their suitability for my needs. The C300 is primarily designed keeping Hollywood in mind (no auto exposure, no auto white balance etc). I don't think I will buy both. May be either or of the two, however, I can't say unless I test one. And 1DX will only be available sometime in March. So will test sometime around that time.

Anton Dsilva
30-11-2011, 12:44 AM
I guess it had to be a grab shot becuase I was sitting in the opposite seat doing my best to prevent a clear view :) Sorry about that.

sharing a pic of the same gaur with a wide angle (fuji film x100; 23mm; f.28; 1/250; iso200)

Interesting to note that you have f4;1/125 and I had f2.8;1/250 - same exposure levels and ISO made the difference. However from the DOF point of view, you seem to have acheived a shallower depth of field. It should have been the opposite isn't it.

Sabyasachi Patra
30-11-2011, 07:33 PM
Anton,
Sorry. I am traveling heavily and hence missed this one.

Depth of field is a function of focal length, aperture, distance of the subject from the camera and also the size of the sensor.

In this case, the focal length I was using was much longer than yours. So that gives a shallow depth of field.

Also, your sensor size is much smaller. So despite you clicking at one stop wider aperture, you got more depth of field.

Sabyasachi