PDA

View Full Version : Choosing Lens For beginner's

Joshi Bhavya
23-11-2011, 12:52 PM
Hello everyone..

Yesterday someone ask me... Which lens is good for Beginning wildlife photography. in low budget.. ?? I have Canon 110D and 18-55mm lens

So i said that you can buy canon 70-300mm lens, but when i search it.. I got three company which have same lens and almost same specification..
Canon EF75-300mm f/4-5.6 III
Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG Macro
Tamron 70-300 VC

I am Little confused with this lenses.. which one is better..??? and choosing 70-300 for beginner is good??

Bhargava Srivari
23-11-2011, 01:10 PM
The 70-300 is a good lens to 'start' off with. However, I personally wouldn't suggest any of the three lenses you listed. The canon 70-300 EF-S f4.5-5.6 USM IS delivers for the money. If I am not wrong, it will cost close to 22k.

Cheers

Bhargava

Joshi Bhavya
23-11-2011, 04:44 PM
Thank Bhargava.. canon 70-300 IS its very high in budget, its goes More than 40K.

Sabyasachi Patra
23-11-2011, 10:15 PM
What is the budget?

In most of the cases the budget is the main factor in choosing a lens. I have used most of these third party lenses during my initial days and have lost a ton of money in selling off those or in a few cases forced to donate to friends. :-) Now I believe, it is better to buy the best, even if that means only one lens at a time.

70-300 is a good lens for mammals like elephants close by. It would be always be a challenge to shoot birds with it. If budget is a problem, then go for non-IS lenses. Those would be easier on the wallet and easier to dispose off as well.

It is better not to rush into buying lenses. Take your time till you are comfortable with your budget and then buy. The present high prices of lenses will continue for sometime, atleast for mid of next year. The Thailand flooding has created issues for lot of electronic manufacturing companies. Hard disks have got impacted, point and shoot cameras of Canon, Nikon's SLRs, Sony etc etc.. Canon's DSLRs and lenses are made in Japan though. Component situation and other issues remains. The industry is stumbling from one situation to another. So if you say that the present price is high, then you need to wait for several months atleast.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Joshi Bhavya
24-11-2011, 10:58 AM
The Budget is small not more than 11000...

My friend had just start the photography.. it has no more budget to take high lenses.. he already have canon 110d just need zooming lens which capable to shoot mammals..
I know The prices of electronic items is gone high.. 100mm macro lens which I buy in 30K, is now more than 33K in small city. :sneaky2:
So, Waiting is good Idea..:
Thank Sabyasachi..

Sabyasachi Patra
25-11-2011, 09:02 PM
Ask him to buy a 70-300 (non IS) and then when his photography improves and budget situation improves, he can upgrade and sell off this lens.