PDA

View Full Version : Curiosity

Sabyasachi Patra
28-04-2009, 11:45 AM
I photographed this one in Rajbehera dam in Bandhavgarh National Park.

This cub was curious at something in the water. I don't know whether it was looking at its reflection or just trying to paw a frog. Unfortunately, the light was not falling on its head.

I hate inclusion of man made structures, as that doesn't give a sense of wilderness. Every year, the Rajbehera dam used to be full and only the top of the dam used to be visible. However, less of rains last year has dropped down the waterlevel so much. This was photographed on April 7th this year.

Canon EOS 1 D Mark II, Canon EF 400mm f2.8 L IS USM, EF 2xII i.e at 800mm. ISO 200, f5.6, 1/500. Full frame.

Look forward to your comments.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Harshad Barve
28-04-2009, 12:01 PM
I would have loved horizontal crop as refelction of tiger in water taking most of the attention.

This is my personal opinion

othrewise very unique image

Thanks for treat

Harshad

Rahul Parekh
28-04-2009, 12:12 PM
beautiful capture...loved the interaction with the surroundings :)

Mrudul Godbole
28-04-2009, 04:06 PM
Nice behaviourial photograph. The reflection is interesting. While composing you could have considered to crop a bit from the bottom and add some more space at the top. Yes some light on the face would have definately added further to the composition.

Harshad Barve
28-04-2009, 04:16 PM
I have on more point, Center of attraction is face of curious cat thats why lot of space offered on other areas distracting the motives,

I have tried a crop. As you know I am so bad with PP, See if you like this

Harshad

Mrudul Godbole
28-04-2009, 04:31 PM
Yes the crop definately gets the focus on the curiuos cub. I would like to include the reflection as well, since it can be a part of what the curiosity is about, just my feeling :)

AB Apana
28-04-2009, 05:23 PM
Sabyasachi,

I like the image. I also think Harshad's crop works, but then it is a matter of personal taste. The crop focuses attention on the face, but loses the reflection.

Apana

Udai Bisht
28-04-2009, 07:10 PM
Lovely image. For me, reflection adds more appeal.

Sabyasachi Patra
28-04-2009, 07:17 PM
Harshad,

I was thinking about your horizontal suggestion. Actually, this year there is less of water and the concrete dam wall is very clearly visible, unlike previous years. So I was not prepared to take any photo of the tiger crossing the dam. However, this fellow displayed some interesting behaviour. So I photographed.

At that time, I was using 800mm (400mm plus 2x) on a 1.3 crop body. To get the horizontal reflection, a smaller focal length is required. So a 1.4x converter instead of the 2x.

Also, since it was looking down, I thought a vertical would be better.

Your crop focusses more on the tiger. Without the reflection also your version of the image would work. One would then think as to what the tiger is doing.
I wish the water was still so that reflection could have been better.

It is important to discuss different point of views, as it forces us to come out and think. Ultimately, it expands our horizon.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Kiran Khanzode
28-04-2009, 08:49 PM
To me, the reflection is what keeps me interested in this image. The reflection is the core/heart of this image, not the face...nothing is visible in the face (in the shade),it's the composition and the reflection that make this one. (my 2 cents) :-).
The man-made structures are distracting as they are...it's a lovely composition. Just looks a bit soft on my monitor...maybe a blacks level boost will help the contrast.
And yes, the 400 f/2.8IS with a 2x is surely a beast...you have done very well.

Great playful image.

Regards,
Kiran