06-11-2011 @4:30pm
Canon 7D with 100-400mm
Aperture priority AE
Tv 1/200
Av 9
Evaluative metering
EC +1
ISO 400mm

Handheld and cropped by 30%. The bird was relaxing in the field http://indiawilds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8218 and suddenly a kite noticed it and decided to attack it. The result is the expression of this bird being captured in my frame, I think you can see the shadow of the kite adjacent to the bird towards the left side of the frame (please correct me if I am wrong). Though it simply tucked down and escaped the attack but since my camera setting was over exposed a bit to capture the shades in previous image, I ended up burning portions of this bird :(. It happened so fast that I could hardly do anything apart from clicking. Thanks for viewing and please pass on your C&C.

Mrudul Godbole
22-12-2011, 02:27 PM
Nice behavior captured. If I am not wrong it is called 'mobbing'. I have seen such behavior from Black Kites a couple of times in Hasserghatta mainly. In one such instance it snatched a big fish from some cranes and flew away. Could you get any shots with it swooping down on the Harrier? Agree about the exposure. Thanks for sharing.

Sabyasachi Patra
22-12-2011, 06:34 PM
Nice expression. Which AF point was active?

Wish you had the kite in the frame as well. I know these things happen suddenly. In the past I have missed scenes as most of the times my longer focal length is not sufficient to get both, unless you are tracking the kite and click at the point when they are inches away from each other. The 100-400 is a good lens for those situations as you can zoom out as well as get both of them in the frame.

Even during dull moments one needs to be alert to take benefits of such situations. I am sure you will have better luck next time. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi