Nikon D300
Nikon 600MM Tele
ISO 200

C & C welcome

Harshad

Sabyasachi Patra
30-04-2009, 02:37 PM
Harshad,
There are some white areas in the nose and legs that have lost details. Also a few stripe marks seem to have lost details in the blacks. You may try to recover those.

In this composition, the rocky path leads our eye away from the tiger. I wish for some space infront of the tiger. I think a vertical composition would have worked better.

I am enjoying these shots of yours as I am visualising the tigers in those empty spaces I had seen. :-) Out of my 11days this month, though I saw tiger mating, mother and cubs in rajbehera and a few others, and one tiger in water shot, there were days when we didn't see a tiger. This reminds me that I have to edit all my shots.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Mital Patel
30-04-2009, 04:25 PM
i can understand how tuff it is to compose with wild animals.

the very first point comes to my mind is tiger looking on left and you have compose very tight on left.

It would be nice to give room to the looking direction.

Second point i agree with sabyasachi that at certain portion you got lost the details.

Looking at your images since last three days i feel that you are lacking of contrast in the image which makes your image flattened out with no depth.

I would strongly suggest you to edit your picture control in d300 and add some sharpness like 5+ and add +1 contrast in Standard Profile that would give you better results.

Also at certain light condition that thing wont work so keep on playing with those settings in camera.

I think this is it for now :)
please dont mind with such long writeup.

Sabyasachi Patra
30-04-2009, 07:12 PM
I would strongly suggest you to edit your picture control in d300 and add some sharpness like 5+ and add +1 contrast in Standard Profile that would give you better results.

Mital,
I assume Harshad is shooting in RAW. I assume you are also shooting in RAW. The various profiles have no bearing on the RAW images. Only if you shoot in JPEG these profiles impact your image.

RAW format gives you the greatest latitude for processing and contains all the data. JPEG format is a lossy compression. Jpeg is used mostly by sports shooters and by news paper reporters who have to immediately send the jpeg to the office. Everyone else shoots in RAW.

When there is a little bit of burning of highlights one can process the RAW image and recover the details in those areas. As is the case in this image.

RAW images are like your digital negatives. Remember, if your composition is right and the image is correctly focussed and is sharp, then you can later on revisit your RAW images and reprocess again. My post processing skills is now better than when I got into digital. So now I can go back and reprocess my images again.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Harshad Barve
30-04-2009, 07:31 PM
As far as compo. is concerned , this is full frame & Sabyasachi why we can not arrange PP workshop of 2 days with a group of 4 people in nearest city to all intersted. I know many people who can condut these

Mital Patel
30-04-2009, 07:31 PM
dear sabyasachi,
the reason i have wrote about d300 picture control and some other trick for the reason that i know he is shooting in raw and i have processed his few images and really think that if you get perfect picture there is to be less job done in PP as he is not much good in doing pp and photoshop.

so my purpose is to give him tips for getting better results from start than editing raw files and do some pp over it.

well your points are perfect for those who knows how to process in ACR or any other RAW processor but for harshadbhai it is bit hard.

Sabyasachi Patra
30-04-2009, 08:21 PM
dear sabyasachi,
the reason i have wrote about d300 picture control and some other trick for the reason that i know he is shooting in raw and i have processed his few images and really think that if you get perfect picture there is to be less job done in PP as he is not much good in doing pp and photoshop.

so my purpose is to give him tips for getting better results from start than editing raw files and do some pp over it.

well your points are perfect for those who knows how to process in ACR or any other RAW processor but for harshadbhai it is bit hard.
Mital,
OK. I now understand. I agree that it is better to get it right in the camera itself so that the processing reduced. That gives more time to enjoy in the field.

Most of my images need very few corrections. Nothing that requires more than a few minutes. Ofcourse, if there is heavy dustspot removal, then it takes time. I don't clone or use multiple layers, blending etc, as it is beyond the realm of photography.

I used to use Raw Shooter Premium and now use Adobe Lightroom. Lightoom is a raw conversion software as well as image management (cataloguing) software.

Harshad,
Good suggestion. We can always have a workshop on image editing at a convenient place. I am sure that would help in making the photos showcase the real beauty of the Tiger.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Mital Patel
30-04-2009, 10:05 PM
for me the workflow is to load every image in viewnx tag them and star them then load them in captureNX which reads every bit of nikon camera (adobe ACR raw converter dosent). then process most of the things in capture NX and save large jpg from raw.

open jpg in photoshop process small file give addon sharpness and noise reduction and border applying through action and save as small file jpg.

load them in to adobe lightroom so that i can find by keyword anytime i wish.

this is my whole wrokflow