PDA

View Full Version : A Delight for eyes.... Oriental Dwarf.

Prasad Dingankar
29-12-2011, 11:23 PM
This on is from my archive. Taken in monsoon in Konkan. This beauty was hiding in the trees on the pearch in a very overcast day. I was slowly moving towards it. And to my favour This bird (A female) took off from the pearch to rest in front of me at about 15-20 feet. would like to here from all of you.
Exif.
Canon 500D
55-250@ 250mm
F/9
ISO 1600
1/50sec, hand held
+0.7 step

Saktipada Panigrahi
30-12-2011, 07:00 AM
Nice image of a rare kingfisher.Looking at the photograph,it appears to me to be a Three-toed Dwarf Kingfisher (Ceyx erithaka) not Oriental Kingfisher (Ceyx rufidorsa).Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

P.S: I used to visit Ganapatiphule which I considered as the best sea-beach in India durng my Mumbai days.

Prasad Dingankar
30-12-2011, 11:27 AM
Nice image of a rare kingfisher.Looking at the photograph,it appears to me to be a Three-toed Dwarf Kingfisher (Ceyx erithaka) not Oriental Kingfisher (Ceyx rufidorsa).Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

P.S: I used to visit Ganapatiphule which I considered as the best sea-beach in India durng my Mumbai days.

as per my knowledge the names three toed & oriental dwarf kingfisher are one and the same. But since you have given the scientific names of the both would you please explain it further.

Yes, Ganpatiule is very beautiful beach but very dangerous..... it has steep slop after some gradual surface underneath.. making it very unpredictable to know the depth of water for the new bees... be cautious next time. Any ways I realy like your name & title. very spiritual... yogic.....

Saktipada Panigrahi
30-12-2011, 12:55 PM
Three-toed /Black-backed dwarf Kingfisher:(Ceyx erithaca):
ID:Orange head,upperparts blue-purple,orange-red below.Coral red bill and legs.A deep blue and white patch behind the ear-coverts.

Occurence: Evergreen and moist-deciduous biotope.Assam, North Bengal,Western Ghats from Mumbai South,Andaman and Nicobars.

Oriental/Rufous-backed dwarf Kingfisher :(Ceyx rufidorsa):
ID:Like Oriental but has rufous-orange(vs.blue-purple)upper-parts and lacks the blue patch behind the eye-coverts.

Occurence:Indian record based only from a specimen collected in Sikkim in 1909.

Source:BNHS/Oxford Publication,2011:Birds of Indian Subcontinent-A Field Guide by R.Manakadan,J.C.Daniel and Nikhil Bhopale
SaktiWild

Roopak Gangadharan
30-12-2011, 04:27 PM
Nice.Seems to a large crop. Perhaps one of the most colouful birds in the world.

Oriental Dwarf Kingfisher (ODKF) is a common name for Ceyx erithaca particularly in the indian context. Rufous-backed dwarf Kingfisher (Ceyx rufidorsa) is extremely rare vagrant in India.

TFS
Roopak

Mrudul Godbole
30-12-2011, 08:25 PM
Lovely sighting. Nice that you got to photograph this rare bird. I would have liked some more space all around, as presently the composition seems very tight. Thanks for sharing.