PDA

View Full Version : Male Plumbeous Water Redstart

Ashok Sorout
05-01-2012, 12:33 AM
Canon 7D, 100-400L @ 400mm, f7.1, 1/500, Iso 400, AV mode, full frame.

Taken at Robbers cave Dehradun yesterday. Wanted to take this bird in flight but failed even at 1/800s, picures are blurred.

Bhargava Srivari
05-01-2012, 07:36 AM
Ashok,

This doesn't look to me an Indian robin. This probably is a Plumbeous water redstart, a bird that is endemic to the Himalayan ranges. Nice find. The bird is beautiful. I am not very sure how fast this bird flies, but I'm guessing a shutter speed of about 1/1000sec should be enough to freeze it in flight. I think the reason for blurred picture was improper focus rather than low shutter speed, in case you were using either one shot AF or AI focus mode as against the AI servo that is usually used for tracking birds in flight.

Also, avoiding placing the bird at the centre of the frame in favour of an off-centred composition may be better.

Cheers

Mrudul Godbole
05-01-2012, 09:55 AM
Cute bird. The catch light is nice. I agree these birds are very swift and you need a high shutter speed to capture them in flight. Also using all point focus helps while photographing birds in flight. Agree about the off-centered composition. Thanks for sharing.

Saktipada Panigrahi
05-01-2012, 10:09 AM
Agree with Bhargava Bhai.
Nice new find.Its small size,stocky built ,plumage,location are indicative of its being a Male Plumbeous Water Redstart(Rhyacornis Fuliginosus) found mainly along the Himalaya mountain streams.
Ashok Bhai ,While chestnut-coloured rump is somewhat visible, any image where the tail(also chestnut-coloured) is clearly visible has been taken? If not, have you seen it? Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

Sabyasachi Patra
06-01-2012, 07:47 PM
Why so much of noise at ISO 400?