PDA

View Full Version : Malabar Whistling Thrush!

Praveen Siddannavar
05-01-2012, 10:13 AM
Again this was shot at Wild Woods Spa, light was a bit low but nevertheless again my first shot of this species.

Camera - Canon EOS 1D Mark IV, 500mm+ 1.4x TC

Av 5.6
Tv 1/125
ISO 1250
EC + 0.3 step
Focal length 700mm
Monopod

Date and Time : 31st Dec'11 @ 10:44am

Saktipada Panigrahi
05-01-2012, 10:26 AM
Nice rare image.Lovely colours.The distinctive cobalt-blue horizontal tilak on the forehead is the main attraction.Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

Bhargava Srivari
05-01-2012, 01:02 PM
Lovely bird! Just keep them coming, Praveen sir :) I had seen this bird in Munnar last year, and the more interesting thing about this bird is the very engaging call it makes. Hearing several tunes (oh yes, the calls of this bird are a lot better than any music tune composed even by Oscar winning musicians!) of this bird with great variations, I'd dreamt of settling down somewhere in the Western ghats where I would be able to wake up listening to this bird :D

Cheers

Saktipada Panigrahi
05-01-2012, 06:40 PM
Song of Malabar Whitsling Thrush:
"The loud and rich whistling song of Malabar Whitsling Thrush heard during breeding season,is one of the earliest bird voices to greet the dawn.The astonishing human quality of its melody and its aimless rambling up and down the scale have earned the bird its rather apt popular name of Idle or Whitsling Schoolboy.Like other thrushes it is silent during non-breeding season,the only note then uttered being the characterisic sharp 'kree-ee' of the family."-Salim Ali,our great teacher taught us through his writings.

'The Call of the Bird' is intertwined with with the observation and photography of the bird.I have posted one paragraph from "Voice of Spring" written by our another great teacher M.Krishnan in 'General Discussion' column with sub-heading 'New Arrival...'(contd.)on 02-01-2012.

SaktiWild

Praveen Siddannavar
05-01-2012, 07:40 PM
Thanks Saktipada and Bhargava, I fully agree with you on the melodious calls by this bird. It was always a dream to see this and then photograph as well. I had missed it seeing at Coorg and later seen once in Ganeshgudi but light was extremely low to make any images. Finally I am glad that I could spend almost 30 mins with this bird during my stay at Wild Woods Spa.

Saktipada thanks for the detailed info, your knowledge flora and fauna is a great inspiration to all members here, of course including myself. Thanks you so much.

Mrudul Godbole
05-01-2012, 08:34 PM
Nice you could capture this rare bird. The blue colour is striking. A slight head turn away from you would have enhanced the eye contact further. Is this a crop, how far was it? Thanks for sharing.

Saktipadaji, thanks for posting the detailed information.

Suraj Sreedhar
06-01-2012, 01:11 PM
Nice to see one in open without any disturbance.

Thanks for sharing.:001_smile:

Sabyasachi Patra
06-01-2012, 08:01 PM
Nice description of Malabar Thrush by Salim Ali.

The area at the left is a bit distracting. Hope to see more images at close distances.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Roopak Gangadharan
09-01-2012, 06:35 PM
Nice colours ....a beauty indeed

TFS
Roopak