PDA

View Full Version : Dhobi in local language of Dehradun

Ashok Sorout
06-01-2012, 11:05 PM
Not sure about the name of this bird.

Taken during my Dehradun Visit, 7D, 100-400 @ 400 mm, F 7.1, 1/400s, ISO 3200.

Was using AV mode, don't know why my camera set iso at 3200 during morning.

Mrudul Godbole
07-01-2012, 11:24 AM
I think it is a barbet, not sure though as the upper parts are not visible. Check the camera settings. It would be good if you could take out some time to go through the manual, that will hep you to know the settings better and make you more comfortable with your camera. In wildlife photography you need to capture the exact moment, so you need to be very comfortable with your camera. Sabyasachi used to tell me that the camera should be like a extended part of your body, so you need to know it very well and not need to think when you are photographing. Thanks for sharing.

Praveen Siddannavar
07-01-2012, 09:36 PM
Looks like Barbet not sure though, maybe if you can post some other images we can nail down the id. It is always important to check the settings before going out in the field and also while in the field since the 7D has the know than can just switch to Tv mode. I had faced this problem couple of times.

You have an excellent camera, 7D + 100-400mm make a good combination, as suggested by Mrudul it is advisable to read the manual or take a on field training from someone who is using the same camera. During initial stages I was lucky that Mrudul helped on field and Sabyasachi did it remotely.

Bibhav Behera
07-01-2012, 11:07 PM
I think this is a Streak Throated Woodpecker (Picus xanthopygaeus)

Ashok Sorout
08-01-2012, 12:29 AM
Another image of the bird from different view.

Bibhav Behera
08-01-2012, 05:14 AM
I was wrong in my previous ID.
This is a Grey Headed Woodpecker (Picus Squanatus)
Resident. Himalayas, NE and E India and Bangladesh. Plain Grey face, black nape and moustachial and uniform greyish-green underparts. Forest

Ref: Grimmett Inskipp, Inskipp 2010

Bhargava Srivari
08-01-2012, 01:01 PM
It sure is a grey headed woodpecker. Looks like you got to shoot some very beautiful looking and endemic birds of the region :)

Sabyasachi Patra
08-01-2012, 01:29 PM
Hmm...I just returned from Dehradun. Official trip. :D Still not got a grip over my schedule. Today I unpacked my Sachtler tripod and OConnor fluid head. Hope I will get some time to click.

I never knew that a bird is called as dhobi.

Saktipada Panigrahi
09-01-2012, 03:59 PM
It is a female Woodpecker as seen in the second post.Without the details of the upper chest it is not convincing whether it is 'Picus canus' or 'Picus squamatus'.Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild