PDA

View Full Version : Humpback dolphin blow-hole (record shot)

Abhishek Jamalabad
14-01-2012, 07:11 PM
Photographed in Agonda, Goa.
Dolphins are mammals, and have evolved from previously land-dwelling ancestors. The nostrils were at the end of the snout in the ancestral animals (as in all other mammals), and in the course of evolution, gradually migrated to the top of the head, and formed what is known as the "blow-hole".
The position of the blow-hole on the top of the head enables dolphins and whales to breathe air without having to stick their entire head out of the water.

Thanks.

Murugan Anantharaman
14-01-2012, 10:17 PM
Nice shot Abhishek. I can understand how difficult it must have been for you to capture them. Before the blink of the eye they're under water, they're that agile. I managed to capture some nice shots of dolphins but in the pacific waters (hence cant post here :( ), so can understand your efforts. Nevertheless a good capture.

Abhishek Jamalabad
15-01-2012, 04:45 PM
Thanks Murugan, here's one shot I had posted earlier, not sure whether you have seen it already... Humpback Dolphin | Agonda - Indiawilds: Land of the Tiger. Conservation, Wildlife Photography, Communities (http://www.indiawilds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8181)

Murugan Anantharaman
15-01-2012, 05:57 PM
That image is a nice one too. The key is to understand the dolphin pattern behaviour and click just before or as it surfaces, takes quite a bit of effort. For a moment if you keep your camera aside and observe them then its very interesting. But most people (atleast I'm one of them) are overawed and start clicking immediately so as to get that perfect shot :)

Mrudul Godbole
15-01-2012, 05:59 PM
Nice that you got to photograph them again. The 'blow hole' can be seen well in the image. Wish you get to see more of them soon :). Thanks for sharing the information.

Abhishek Jamalabad
15-01-2012, 06:07 PM
Mrudul, this is from the same trip :p, I delayed posting it as I was busy with my exams.

Atul Sinai
16-01-2012, 01:56 PM
Great Capture Abhishek ! You got the right moment. Thanks for sharing

Sabyasachi Patra
16-01-2012, 08:55 PM
That image is a nice one too. The key is to understand the dolphin pattern behaviour and click just before or as it surfaces, takes quite a bit of effort. For a moment if you keep your camera aside and observe them then its very interesting. But most people (atleast I'm one of them) are overawed and start clicking immediately so as to get that perfect shot :)

I have heard the same thing from Mrudul. The first time she saw a tiger in the wild, she refused to click for the fist two days as she thought photography will distract her from watching the tiger. I fully agreed and happily continued photographing. I have watched tigers for a long long time. So don't have this problem. I agree that if you are not aware of the behaviour of your subject, then it becomes difficult to predict and capture the behaviour. So watching for sometime before clicking, in case of a new species, may be better.

Good to see some dolphins. We normally don't see those often.

Sabyasachi

Praveen Siddannavar
18-01-2012, 07:54 PM
Lovely image Abhishek, the blue waters have come out well. The image is quite well shot considering you use a 100mm Macro lens
tfs

Abhishek Jamalabad
18-01-2012, 07:55 PM
Thanks everyone.