PDA

View Full Version : Lesser Flamingos.

Joshi Bhavya
18-01-2012, 07:54 PM
Hi... everyone...

Lesser Flamingos: Phoenicopterus minor : From Couple months a ago a Lesser Flamingos were die due to electric wires in India..the News were all over spread. about conservation of this migratory birds... its feel bad to here that..:sad:

Every year tens of thousands of flamingos arrive to breed in the marshes of the Rann of Kutch region of Gujarat state. Its a wonderful place for birds totally heavens..
I have taken this shot during sunset. nice orange plane all over..

With Canon 550D, Tamron 30-700mm
F: 5.6
ISO:400
SS:1/4000s
Focal lenght: 180mm
No single editing. full frame image.

Comments and suggestions are welcomes.

Anybody know that this flamingos are of which native.????.. Africa or India... some are saying that Lesser flamingos are local migrators. started from south India.. but scientist are tracking flamingos on this answer, there is no proper answer..!!!

Praveen Siddannavar
18-01-2012, 08:15 PM
Sad to hear this, but this image has come out well. Great work!
tfs

Murugan Anantharaman
18-01-2012, 09:47 PM
A very well composed image. the birds look lovely. Yes its very unfortunate that every year lots of birds get killed. I recently read in a newspaper that for a Newyear party flamingo meat was served resulting in roughly 40 flamingoes dead. This happened in Gujarat.

I've seen flamingoes belonging to India, Africa and Chile, would appreciate if someone can throw some more light on their origins.

Bhargava Srivari
19-01-2012, 09:37 AM
This is a very pleasing scape. The orange color of the sunset adds great value to the image.

It is indeed saddening to know that the flamingoes die this way, but an even more disturbing news is that in the GRK, poachers have been killing these flamingoes for meat :(

Abhishek Jamalabad
19-01-2012, 10:42 AM
Very nice, Bhavya. Love the sunset tones and the flamingos going about their business :). The variety of poses enhances the image even more. I think you could push up the brightness a bit.
Lesser flamingos are native to Africa, and a few of them migrate to western India (Gujarat and Maharashtra) to breed. Many of them breed in Africa itself. Migration greatly depends on the availability of nesting sites- if the sites in Africa are unsuitable (due to adverse climate, pollution etc.) more of them migrate to Asia.
I don't think this species is found anywhere south of the Mumbai region. The Greater Flamingo on the other hand is more widespread in India.

Murugan: The same 2 species occur in Asia and Africa (Greater flamingo Phoenicopterus roseus and Lesser flamingo P. minor). 4 disntinct species occur in South America, and these do not migrate long distances, but instead participate in altitudinal migration with the seasons (similar to our Himalayan birds).

Sabyasachi Patra
19-01-2012, 11:09 AM
Agree with Abhishek. Some good information shared by him.

Joshi Bhavya
19-01-2012, 01:10 PM
Thanks abhishekh for information...
it is true that lesser flamingos are of Africa.. but it is not confirmed till now.. that some are stay in India whole year.. at different region like sewri bay ,Mumbai..kolkatta etc..even professional bird tracker are some confused..:huh: we don't know the exact answer.. migration of lesser flamingos is till mysterious.. we know the flamingos comes from africa but the question is are they going back!!!...:confused:

Abhishek Jamalabad
19-01-2012, 02:14 PM
Bhavya, do you mean they stay in India all year? That is very unlikely. However, one commonly sees stragglers that remain here months after the breeding season is finished.

Joshi Bhavya
19-01-2012, 03:12 PM
Abhishekh, i am not telling that flamingos stay in india whole year.
i am saying its not comfired, that flamingos, which are comes from africa are they all going back? this question is still wainting for anwser.
if they are not going then were they go.? we cant see flamingos in summer or Monsoon in india.
and if they are going back, than there is no question.