PDA

View Full Version : Short Eared Owl (Record Shot)

Praveen Siddannavar
20-01-2012, 09:06 AM
This is a record shot, shot this image at Hessarghatta. This owl was attacked by black kites and was hiding in the grass. However later it was chased away by 15 odd black kites. I wish I had time to take off my TC, probably the image would have been better.

Camera - Canon EOS 1D Mark IV, 500mm + 1.4x TC

Av 8
Tv 1/640
ISO 640
EC + 0.7 step
Focal length 700mm
Full Frame
Hand Held

Date and Time : 7th Jan'12 @ 9:33am

Murugan Anantharaman
20-01-2012, 09:55 AM
I still like this image Praveen. The eyes have come out well and there is a camouflage effect as the owl's blending with the vegetation. If you do have other images of the kites attacking it please post them. That would be interesting to watch.

Mrudul Godbole
20-01-2012, 11:28 AM
Nice sighting. I think the AF point is locked on the grass. It is quite difficult to focus with so much grass in the foreground, it is better to use manual focus in such condition. You could have tried a vertical composition to get some more space at the bottom. Seems black kites are giving a tough time to the other birds. Thanks for sharing.

Bhargava Srivari
20-01-2012, 05:18 PM
A rare sighting. I know of people who have spent an entire day without food and water roaming grasslands just to get a glimpse of this bird! You seem to be lucky not just with tigers, but with every form of wildlife :D

Cheers

Abhishek Jamalabad
20-01-2012, 05:27 PM
Never expected to see a shot of this bird from Hessarghatta... they are pretty common in Kutch.

Sabyasachi Patra
21-01-2012, 03:09 PM
I agree with Murugan. A 100-400 lens would have helped in documenting the attack with the kites. at times longer focal length is an issue in capturing action. For portraits it is fine. I agree that it is always a challenge clicking through vegetation. A vertical composition here would have been better. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Praveen Siddannavar
23-01-2012, 06:01 PM
Thank you all for the comments, it may sound funny but honestly I did not make any attempt to shoot images during the chase. I got so involved in watching it and didn't want the BK's to kill this owl. After about 10 mins chase, Finally they all flew so high behind the clouds and we couldn't see anything, I'm hoping the owl is fine and you may see again at Hessarghatta.