PDA

View Full Version : Standing Mantis

Joshi Bhavya
21-01-2012, 12:44 PM
I am Lucky to take shot of this standing pose of mantis... Actually.. its a Protection pose.. when threatened from some big bugs or competitive other mantis.
I don't see any other mantis around, or can't see. because this was shot at night. with help of Torch. I have read that.. if in Protection pose.. if some one touch mantis.. that it will attack on you.. a mantis may strike with its forelegs and attempt to pinch or bite.:blink:
Hope this one you all like it..

With canon 550D, 100mm macro
F:14
ISO:400
SS:200s
Manual mode, with built flash
Hand held, Vertical cropped.. little darkening. that it.

Mrudul Godbole
21-01-2012, 05:19 PM
Nice you could photograph this behavior. There is some loss of details, maybe due to the crop. The bottom part looks bit more in focus than the top. Where was the AF point? Hope it was not in protection pose because of you :).Thanks for sharing.

Joshi Bhavya
21-01-2012, 05:43 PM
AF point is automatic mode.. AF point I think its one bottom part.. :blush:

the protection pose is not because of me, I think... because When i spot this mantis its already in protection pose.. yes a mantis will be little scared, it thinks, now its two competitor..:laugh:

Abhishek Jamalabad
21-01-2012, 07:52 PM
Nice pose photographed. Never seen this before. Agree about the detail loss due to the crop. Have you tried any other angles as well?
I can't think of any bugs that could threaten a mantis ;).
TFS

Joshi Bhavya
23-01-2012, 12:34 PM
I have same image of different Exif details don't have different angle.. Thanks for comments.

Roopak Gangadharan
24-01-2012, 05:21 PM
Nice pose. havnt seen this before. the mantis is supposed to be a very enigmatic creature, heard a lot of surprising facts about its life cycle and behaviour.

TFS
Roopak