PDA

View Full Version : Pore surface of a mushroom

Abhishek Jamalabad
25-01-2012, 07:23 PM
This was clicked as a record shot, sharing it for the information part.
This is the underside of the cap of a Coltricia sp. mushroom. (Earlier posted by Murugan). The tiny pores are actually the outlets of a number of tubes contained within the cap, in which spores (seeds) are produced. The spores escape through the holes when they mature.
This is a feature of poroid mushrooms only. Others, such as the common edible button mushrooms, have a gill-like underside instead of a pore surface.

Canon 500D, Canon 100mm Macro USM
SS 1/250
Av 6.3
ISO 3200 (The first time I've pushed it that far :))
A little bit of NR done in LightRoom.
Cropped a strip from the bottom.
The shallow DoF is deliberate, to avoid any other details that might draw attention.
I have an even closer shot composed with only the pore surface, but chose to post this one as it provides a better perspective of the mushroom as a whole.

Thanks, C&C welcome.

Roopak Gangadharan
26-01-2012, 11:48 AM
Nice, thanx for sharing this abhishek, was this shot during the day ?
the gill like underside is familiar.The only other thing i know of them is mushroom masala and magic mushroom....:D

Rgds
Roopak

Abhishek Jamalabad
26-01-2012, 12:01 PM
Roopak, this was shot near sunset. Hence the shadowed parts.

Mrudul Godbole
26-01-2012, 09:46 PM
The pattern created by the dots look nice. Nice to see this. You can crop a bit from the top till the edge of the mushrooms. Thanks for sharing this and telling us more about mushrooms. Looks forward to more.

Sabyasachi Patra
26-01-2012, 10:56 PM
Interesting perspective and good information. The way these mechanisms are created in these organisms, it is well thought out. Scientists are learning a lot from these.

Roopak's receipe's made me remember that I had once blasted a restaurant because he specially prepared and brought mutton mushroom though I had ordered mutter mushroom. He confused mutter with mutton and prepared that. Customer service to the extreme. :D

Murugan Anantharaman
30-01-2012, 06:23 PM
Very nice image Abhishek. the pores look nice and so is the sunset colours in the mushroom. Next time around I will try to get some macro shots of this amazing subject.