PDA

View Full Version : Leopard on a misty morning/Kabini#1

Praveen Siddannavar
30-01-2012, 12:28 PM
Just got back from a 3 day trip to Kabini (Nagarahole Forest), the forest was at its best with lots of winter migratory birds, plenty of elephants at the river bank that included a huge tusker that charged at us like mad, a spotted deer with probably a week old fawn was another wonderful moment, had 5 leopards sightings that including a mating couple and last but not the least a tigress too was in the list of sightings that too 10 minutes before we were ending 6th and last safari ride. All in all a wonderful trip it was.

The highlight was a natural history moment of leopards mating on a tree, this is the second time I have been lucky to see leopards mating the first one was at Bandipur with some records shots and now at Kabini that too on a tree was just unbelievable.

On 28th Jan'12 (Saturday), there was too must mist than normal, we entered the hosakere tank gate and within minutes we spotted a cat walking on the game track. Due to mist it was first difficult to spot if it was a tiger or a leopard. My first few images went blank, my friend too could'nt get a single image, despite having Nikon 400mm f2.8 prime lens. After couple of minutes I was lucky to get few images that I thought of sharing since we don't often get opportunities to shoot in such beautiful settings. This was a male leopard that had made a kill and had come to hosakere tank water hole to drink water, you can notice that his tummy is full.

The leopard walked on the game track for a minute and moved in the dense area and provided me only one opportunity by looking towards us. Later he walked up to tree and scratched the tree trunk with his claws, typically behavior of cats for marking their territory. I will also share these images soon. Later he became invisible in the thick mist and disappeared like ghost in a haunted place.

Experts do we over-expose or under expose images in such thick/dense misty conditions. Pl advice. In this image I have over-exposed and few images of the same pose that are with EC zero, I will share it for comparision

Camera - Canon 1D Mark IV, 500mm

Av 4
Tv 1/40
ISO 1600
EC + 0.7:confused1:
Focal length 500
Full frame
Jeep's roof top rod support
Date and Time : 28th Jan'12 @ 6:50am

Mrudul Godbole
30-01-2012, 03:01 PM
Good to know you had a great trip. I liked the misty feel of a winter morning. The head turn and the eye contact is nice. It becomes quite difficult to expose in fog. In this image giving +EC has helped, already the shutter speed was quite less for you to increase the exposure further. The best option is to click a image and check the histogram if it is more to the left (underexposed) then you can increase the exposure further (provided the subject is still there :)). Thanks for sharing.

Roopak Gangadharan
30-01-2012, 03:17 PM
Nice setting and a good write up praveen...guess in short it was raining cats &......looking foward to the images.

TFS
Roopak

Suraj Sreedhar
30-01-2012, 03:28 PM
Mist gives nice feel to the image.Nice eye contact.
TFS

Abhishek Jamalabad
30-01-2012, 04:35 PM
Lovely shot. The misty feel gives a unique, pleasant feel to the image. Agree that the +ve EC has helped. One could deepen the blacks/contrast to make the leopard prominent, but honestly that would ruin the feel.
TFS, look forward to more images from your trip.

Atul Dhamankar
30-01-2012, 05:38 PM
Very well shot.

Murugan Anantharaman
30-01-2012, 05:49 PM
Nice image. Winter mornings/evenings can get very difficult for photography but still you have managed a good shot. looking forward to more images from your trip.

Saktipada Panigrahi
30-01-2012, 10:05 PM
Mystic,mystique in misty morning.Nice feel about the image.Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

V S Sankar
31-01-2012, 11:34 PM
I liked your write up than the pic,in this case!Not that the pic is bad,but your narrative is so beautiful.You have expressed yourself so vividly and I feel I was there.....

I was there at Nagarhole on 26th Dec 11 but saw only deers.......

Regards