PDA

View Full Version : Starling - ID please!

Abhishek Jamalabad
06-02-2012, 09:57 PM
Confused about the ID here... my first impression was that it is a chestnut-tailed starling Sternus malabaricus. After looking it up in Grimmett's book, it somewhat resembles a juvenile Brahminy Starling S. pagodarum. The illustrations aren't providing much help.
Clicked a few days ago in my backyard in Karwar.
Canon Powershot SX10 IS
SS 1/125
Av 5.7
ISO 100
EC +2/3

Thanks, C&C welcome, look forward to your help with the ID.

Sabyasachi Patra
06-02-2012, 10:57 PM
Nice image. Moving slightly to the left, if possible, would have enhanced this image. Don't have the book with me now. Will have to check later. Interesting to see you back with your P&S.

Abhishek Jamalabad
06-02-2012, 11:22 PM
Thanks Sabyasachi, agree about moving to the left... But it was tough to find a gap to shoot through the foliage. Could only grab a few shots from this position before it flew off. i still use the compact occasionally, mainly for shooting birds.

Saktipada Panigrahi
07-02-2012, 10:53 AM
Nice image. As indicated by you,it appears to be a Juvenile Brahminy Starling(Sturanus/Temenuchus pagodarum,synonymous).I have depended more on the eye orbital ring.Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

Mrudul Godbole
07-02-2012, 01:39 PM
Nice sighting. The perch and the eye contact is nice. Agree with the above comments. Thanks for sharing.

Murugan Anantharaman
08-02-2012, 09:56 AM
Nice image. The details have come out well. The image proves a point, its not always the type of camera that matters, its mainly the eye for a composition which makes the difference. Thanks for sharing Abhishek.

Abhishek Jamalabad
08-02-2012, 11:31 AM
Thanks everyone, thanks Saktiji for your views on the ID...

Roopak Gangadharan
08-02-2012, 09:08 PM
Abhishek to me this is a chestnut tailed starling with Brahminy adult or Juv the black cape on the head will always be there.

TFS
Roopak

Abhishek Jamalabad
13-02-2012, 10:32 PM
Thanks a lot Roopak. Looked up some images on the net and it does look like a CTS. The white wing patch is visible in some specimens.