PDA

View Full Version : New Canon 24-70 f2.8 L II USM

Sabyasachi Patra
07-02-2012, 08:53 PM
Canon has announced an upgrade of its popular EF 24-70 F2.8 L USM lens by launching a completely revamping the optics and naming it EF 24-70 F2.8 L II USM lens.

The Key features in this lens are:

Key features
High-speed USM AF
Fluorine lens coating front and rear
9-blade circular aperture
Three Aspheric lens elements
One Super Ultra-low Dispersion lens element
Two Ultra-low Dispersion (UD) lens elements: This is expected to enhance the quality.
Minimum focusing distance: 0.38m at all focal lengths
Improved dust and weather resistance
Improved durability for daily use
Front of lens doesn’t rotate during focusing.
Manual focus possible in AF mode: This is a good point. One need not change the focus switch from AF to manual focus to fine tune the focus. You can fine tune the focus even when the mode switch is on AF mode.
Only lead-free glass is used : Good for the environment.

The close focusing distance of just 38cm throughout the zoom range allows you to get in near to your subject to add impact, or to take a step back to include more of the surroundings.

Compared to the EF24-70mm f/2.8L USM lens it replaces, the new zoom lens is shorter by 10mm, and is almost 150g lighter, so it takes up less space in the bag and is easier to carry. It has been made even more durable and weather-sealed to cope with everyday use in harsh environments in the hands of professional photographers.

The lens’ optical design is completely new compared to the outgoing model. It includes three aspherical lens elements, two of which are Glass Mold (GMo) and one is ground glass. These are combined with a two Ultra-low Dispersion (UD) elements and a single Super-UD element to provide the highest possible image quality in a lens of this focal length.

The new 9-bladed diaphragm (compared to 8-blades in the previous model) produces a circular aperture for pleasing out of focus highlights and attractive bokeh. This helps your subject stand out against the background with no distractions.

Distance information
For use with E-TTL II flash metering, this lens provides distance information back to any EOS DSLR camera body to help to refine the flash metering algorithms and ensure accurate flash exposure.

Super Spectra coatings
The Super Spectra coating achieves two benefits – it cuts down internal flare and ghosting when light reflects off the digital sensor providing images with improved contrast. The coatings are optimized for each lens design, so it also ensures accurate colour balance across the entire EF lens range so that all lenses have a uniform colour response.

Fluorine lens element coatings
In the quest to keep the lens elements clean and thereby realize the best image quality possible, the front and rear lens elements have been coated with Fluorine. Fluorine is a non-stick coating that helps to repel dust and water, and makes the elements easier to clean should any dirt find it’s way there from raindrops or fingerprints.

Optical Features/Specifications
Angle of view (horzntl, vertl, diagnl) 74° - 29°. 53° - 19°30', 84° - 34°
Lens construction (elements/groups) 18/13
No. of diaphragm blades 9
Minimum aperture 22
Closest focussing distance (m) 0.38(Macro)
Maximum magnification (x) 0.21(at 70mm)
Distance Information Provided
AF actuator Ring USM¹
Physical Specifications
Dust/moisture resistance Yes¹
Filter diameter (mm) 82
Max. diameter x length (mm) 88.5 x 113
Weight (g) 805
Accessories
Lens Cap E-82 II
Lens hood EW-88C
Lens case/pouch LP1219
Magnification Extension Tube EF12 II 0.63-0.18
Magnification Extension Tube EF25 II 0.74-0.41 5
Extender Compatiblity Not compatible

Kaling Dai
07-02-2012, 09:53 PM
Sabyasachiji,

is it for landscape/street photography? pl suggest me a lens for landscape. thanks. regards. kaling.

Sabyasachi Patra
07-02-2012, 09:59 PM
Kaling,
You can use it for landscape as well as for street photography. I have the 24-70 f2.8 L USM lens which this lens replaced. Excellent optics. The f2.8 aperture makes it fast. The sharpness at corners is nice. However, one should realise that this lens is heavy and during hard treks you will feel it.

I find the 24mm of the 24-70 f2.8 L USM lens good enough for me as I use a 1D Mark IV camera which has an APS-H sensor (1.3 crop factor). The 16-35 mm lens is a great lens, however, I dont use that focal length. In places where you are facing wide vistas day in and day out, a 16-35mm will be good. The other reason for going with the 24-70 is because I can use that in the Safaris as well. When the tiger is close, 70mm works well.

The 24-105 f4 L IS USM is also a good lens. What is your budget?

Cheers,
Sabyasachi