PDA

View Full Version : Black Kite (Milvus migrans) - my first birding trip

Prem Sagar
04-05-2009, 12:06 AM
Hello Members,
I have my 70-300 VR now!! Thanks to all your feedback and opinion.

I took it out today on my first birding trip (Lalbagh)... and spent some lovely time with it. Didnt see too many birds.. saw the black kite, pond heron, purple moor hen, white breasted kingfisher, common egret, mynahs... all the common ones.

I got a few good shots. Esp I like this black kite shot. The VR on this lens is really very good and works like a charm.

Exif:
Camera : Nikon D90
Lens : Nikkor 70-300 VR
Exposure: 1/2500 sec
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 170 mm
ISO Speed: 400
Exposure compensation: +1/3 EV
White balance : Auto

Did some pp in GIMP.

Please let me know your opinion on the shot. I have a few other shots from this trip on my flickr account.

Cheers,
Prem

Mrudul Godbole
04-05-2009, 04:16 PM
Hi Prem,

Congrats for getting the new lens.Nice composition. The wing details are good. I am not able to see the details in the eye,a further close up would have helped.

Hoping to see more from the new lens :)

Sabyasachi Patra
04-05-2009, 04:33 PM
Prem,
Congratulations on your lens. How much crop is this image? Why 170 mm?

The high shutter speed has ensured that the wing span is sharp. A higher aperture of say f8 would have been better. Light was harsh. This image in better lighting would have been nice.

The best place to catch a pariah kite or black kite (as they are now called) is to click from top of the flyover after Majestic as they hover very close to it. This fly over goes towards Mysore. No idea what is the name. But be careful, don't get runover by a vehicle. I have seen them flying there during afternoon times.

Look forward to more.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Prem Sagar
11-05-2009, 08:39 PM
Thanks Sabyasachi and Mrudul.

Yeah, this one is cropped a bit. Also didnt make full use of the focal length here.. thanks for pointing out the mistakes.