PDA

View Full Version : out of frame

Kaling Dai
10-02-2012, 02:55 PM
Dear all
problem with me is when i try to shoot a bird in flight. as i zoom in, the subject goes out of my frame, i am using 100-400 mm. so i have to zoom out to track the bird again there by losing out the subject. pl throw some light on the issue. thanks & regards. kaling.

Mrudul Godbole
12-02-2012, 01:21 PM
Hi Kaling,

I agree with you, I was also facing the same problem as I too use 100-400mm lens. The technique you are using is right to zoom out to track the bird and then zoom in. The only thing you have to do is you need to see its direction of flight and keep moving the lens. This can be tricky, but you can try zooming in half so you get it bit bigger than totally loosing it. Some practice will help you, to understand where the bird is going and then you would be able to get photograph it at right spot. I hope this helps.

Sabyasachi Patra
13-02-2012, 09:26 PM
Kaling,
Few things you need to take care:
1. It is better to use your fingers to move the focus ring manually to quickly get the focus plane close to the bird. Then press the auto focus (mostly by half pressing the shutter button) to get the focus.

2. Use the AF limit switch. If the bird is not close to you, then better to use the Limit switch to the farthest point in the lens you are using. Using the full AF range will lead to the lens trying to hunt between the extremes and take more time.

3. Start tracking the bird and the moment it is in the right spot, click. By tracking early, you have got better chance of getting focus.

4. If there is some intervening vegetation and the focus momentarily gets lost or the focus gets locked on the background, then better to use your fingers to manually get the focus. That can be faster then continuing to press the shutter button for AF.

5. There are a few things that can't be taught over net. However, just try the previous suggestions and Practice, Practice and Practice.

Sabyasachi

Kaling Dai
13-02-2012, 09:32 PM
Hi Kaling,

I agree with you, I was also facing the same problem as I too use 100-400mm lens. The technique you are using is right to zoom out to track the bird and then zoom in. The only thing you have to do is you need to see its direction of flight and keep moving the lens. This can be tricky, but you can try zooming in half so you get it bit bigger than totally loosing it. Some practice will help you, to understand where the bird is going and then you would be able to get photograph it at right spot. I hope this helps.

noted & thanks.

Kaling Dai
13-02-2012, 09:35 PM
Kaling,
Few things you need to take care:
1. It is better to use your fingers to move the focus ring manually to quickly get the focus plane close to the bird. Then press the auto focus (mostly by half pressing the shutter button) to get the focus.

2. Use the AF limit switch. If the bird is not close to you, then better to use the Limit switch to the farthest point in the lens you are using. Using the full AF range will lead to the lens trying to hunt between the extremes and take more time.

3. Start tracking the bird and the moment it is in the right spot, click. By tracking early, you have got better chance of getting focus.

4. If there is some intervening vegetation and the focus momentarily gets lost or the focus gets locked on the background, then better to use your fingers to manually get the focus. That can be faster then continuing to press the shutter button for AF.

5. There are a few things that can't be taught over net. However, just try the previous suggestions and Practice, Practice and Practice.

Sabyasachi
thank you for the tips.